Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just saw some interesting videos on oil. the molecules of petroleum oil are not round like ball bearings compared to synthetic oil which is why syn is so much better. secondly i saw where containers marked full synthetic are really petroleum base stock with synthetic additives added. containers that say 100% synthetics are true synthetic base stock with additives so this would be much better for your motor plus the fact the molecules are round.

any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Oil molecules are not round, so what you saw was probably a simplification to try and show that synthetic oils have lower resistance when flowing past other synthetic oil molecules.

Synthetic/synthesized oils are undoubtedly better. Dino oil contains various molecules of different sizes, compositions, and volatility, along with more impurities. The refining process for synthetic oils removes the impurities and creates highly consistent molecules optimized for lubrication, with additional characteristics such as low oxidation and low high-temperature volatility. Makers usually put their best additive packages in their synthetic oils as well.

I have seen engines after thousands of miles of track use with synthetic oils, and they still have their honing marks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Biggest problem with Mobil 1 is... the darn motor never breaks in!!! takes about 30K instead of 5-10K

I stick with Mobil 1 European Blend(0W-40)

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
I use Mobil 1 0W40 European blend exclusively in my three smarts. 3000 mile intervals on my turbo smarts and 5000 on my NA smart.
I do the recommended 10K on my Highlander (Mobil 1 0W20).
I know some will disagree with that, but it works for me! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts