Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And what is RWD? We are expecting snow tonight & tomorrow & my family is saying don't take that thing out in the snow! BTW, my youngest daughter still trys to hide her laugh when she sees my drive up. I do have a SUV that I can drive in the snow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
rear whee drive.. An SUV with four wheel drive will have an advantage in snow over a two wheel drive car, but I would take the smart over a two wheel drive SUV in the snow.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Rear wheel drive. These cars are fun in the snow. The snow can not be too deep. I drive mine 60 miles round trip daily, and in anywhere up to 6 inches it is not bad. I also put on Blizzak snow tires last year, what a difference. It is real good in the snow. The traction control is good once you get moving, the only problem is that it sometimes will make it hard to get going. Just go easy and it will behave, then you can drive pretty good once you get to around 30 mph. These cars are good on solid ice also with the weight in the rear. Take it out and try it and you can be the judge.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
If you believe you need a 4x4 Full sized suv to get through a few inches of snow then the smart is not for you.

But for me, We tossed on some snow tires and as long as there has been an attempt at clearing away the drifts we do just fine.

Oh and RWD drive is rear wheel drive. And since that is where the engine is then you get more traction.

One of the biggest issues with driving in the snow is being able to counter inertia. The smart has as little inertia of just about any car. And SUV's have a ton, literaly

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Speaking from experience, I find it is quite capable in the snow. I've driven mine through 4 Northern Indiana winters, with the stock all season tires, and managed to get stuck once. It wasn't the car's fault. I went somewhere I shouldn't have, and the tires were getting pretty thin, so traction was marginal at best. I screwed up, only one I could be mad at was me.:eek:

I just put a set of Kumho's on, we'll see how they do this winter.:)

I have to admit, it's been fun the last 4 winters honking at the the SUV's buried to the axles as I putt on by in my smart.:D

Drive with some sense, and you will be fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No issues

:D In fact, had mine in PA last winter and when everyone else sliding on road; she kept on truckin!! Left PA In snow storm........7 inches........was no prob

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
We moved to Beaumont, Texas this week (at least Jim and Little Blue did). Shouldn't have to worry about snow. Though I'm told that when they do get it everyone goes nuts because they seldom see snow.

The others are right, your smart should do just fine. The biggest problem will be the crazy drivers since this is the first snow of the year.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
When we do get 3 or 4 inches of snow here, the majority of cars including Corvettes are stuck cattywompas in the streets as I drive around them no problem. What fun! Very sure footed and no skidding.
Your family is unaware that 3 smarts were driven to the end of the ice road in Alaska and back, no problem, with only a shovel to clear away drifts.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I have 3 options.....
• snow tires on the smart (really good idea)
• SUV (you have that as a option)
• smart sits in the garage ( that where mine sits)

·
Registered
523 Posts
The smart is my only car I have. It is fine in snow. Traction control, abs all work excellent in snow. The only real complaint is that the traction control is sometimes to aggressive in the snow. I now have snow tires that I use during the snowy months, it does make a difference. But the A/T tires work good during the winter.
Tom

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,074 Posts
Tell them it's like the old VW Beetle, rear-engine, rear-wheel drive but with modern safety features like traction control and stability control. Most people know that the Beetle did well in the snow. I think VW even had some commercials along that line.

But, do make sure your tires and ability are up to the task. Slick weather driving requires good tires (4WD or not) and good driving sense. Here in WV it's sad to see the 4WD truck/SUV owners going much too fast for the conditions not realizing 4WD does nothing for stopping or turning. They think 4WD makes them invincible. You'll usually find them in the median or ditch (or worse) a couple miles ahead. :rolleyes:

Now, climbing a slick hill or driveway at low speeds is where 4WD will help. The extra ground clearance afforded by a 4WD truck/SUV is also necessary if the snow is deep enough and you need to drive in it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Common misconception = SUVs are good in the snow/ice. AWD does not help stopping and turning in snow/ice and so the added weight that a SUV carries around actually makes them only good at one thing in snow/ice, accelerating. A 2WD car (FWD and even some RWD) will have more stopping and turning advantage over just about any SUV than the added accelerative traction AWD provides. Put proper snow tires on that same car and AWD might not even be an advantage anymore. Of course, it's in snowy/icy conditions that I miss my two AWD cars (VW R32 and Audi A4)...that's the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Speaking from experience, I find it is quite capable in the snow. I've driven mine through 4 Northern Indiana winters, with the stock all season tires, and managed to get stuck once. It wasn't the car's fault. I went somewhere I shouldn't have, and the tires were getting pretty thin, so traction was marginal at best. I screwed up, only one I could be mad at was me.:eek:

I just put a set of Kumho's on, we'll see how they do this winter.:)

I have to admit, it's been fun the last 4 winters honking at the the SUV's buried to the axles as I putt on by in my smart.:D

Drive with some sense, and you will be fine.

I've had the identical experience (the same 4 winters :))

I too got stuck only once; my fault, went into too deep snow and got stuck. I left it in D and rocked it out, then tried to catch it and jump in :eek:

Could have sold tickets for THAT old geezer show :p

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I've driven my Cheewawa thru three winters (NY didn't have winter last year, so I'm not counting that). It's done amazingly well, esp'ly considering that I drive at least 800 miles a week and that I've never put on snow tires!

The worst conditions I've driven in were during a major snow storm three years ago. As I drove along the narrow, winding road, I noticed many cars (including quite a few SUVs) along the shoulder of the road, often at weird angles. I got home just fine.

I think that a lot of it has to do, as forestacademy noted, with the low weight = low inertia concept. The ABS helps a great deal, too.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I've driven my Cheewawa thru three winters (NY didn't have winter last year, so I'm not counting that). It's done amazingly well, esp'ly considering that I drive at least 800 miles a week and that I've never put on snow tires!

The worst conditions I've driven in were during a major snow storm three years ago. As I drove along the narrow, winding road, I noticed many cars (including quite a few SUVs) along the shoulder of the road, often at weird angles. I got home just fine.

I think that a lot of it has to do, as forestacademy noted, with the low weight = low inertia concept. The ABS helps a great deal, too.
And don't forget:

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I've had the identical experience (the same 4 winters :))

I too got stuck only once; my fault, went into too deep snow and got stuck. I left it in D and rocked it out, then tried to catch it and jump in :eek:

Could have sold tickets for THAT old geezer show :p

I would have paid good money to see that!!!!:D

Ya know I love ya chief!!!

To add, I've pushed snow with my smart deep enough to make my fog lights disappear, and still gotten through.

One word of warning though: the OE Conti tires pretty much suck once they get down to 50% tread depth. Until then, they work great.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
November 1st, the Brabus rims/tires come off and the Pure steelies with Blizzak snow tires go on. Avoid DEEP snow and there are no problems. Reverse the process in the Spring and I'm good to go.

We change nothing on my wife's car so she drives only when conditions permit or she takes the Suzuki Grand Vitara that has 4WD and snow tires.

Regards,

Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts