Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and think I get the gist, but I'd like someone to just say it outright.......you cannot mount rear stock smart 175/55 15's on a front rim that holds 150/60 R15. Is that right? Thanks to you all!

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,074 Posts
The minimum recommended rim width for the 175/55 is 5" so even though some may have mounted that size tire on a 4.5" rim, I would question the handling and safety of that setup especially on the front.

·
17,343 Posts
My car has Genius Darwins in 5.5" and 6.5" (front and rear). All four wheels have 195/50/15 tyres and I will confirm that they're arguably safer than my car's stock setup.

More snow traction, more dry traction, more wet traction, better stability, and better wind handling.

If recommended rim width is X", mounting the tyre onto a rim that's only a half inch bigger/smaller won't make much of a difference. I was told this by two so called tyre experts.

·
17,343 Posts
...I do hope those experts have a law degree...
...going outside the recommend tire/wheel size is not a good idea...

Jetfuel...just saying..

Welp, I haven't had any issues yet but I'll know where to look if something does indeed happen. :(

According to the claimed tyre experts I called at both Tyre Rack and Discount Tyre, the tyres are within the acceptable range for the rims, even though the front rims are an inch skinnier.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,074 Posts
Welp, I haven't had any issues yet but I'll know where to look if something does indeed happen. :(

According to the claimed tyre experts I called at both Tyre Rack and Discount Tyre, the tyres are within the acceptable range for the rims, even though the front rims are an inch skinnier.
Tire Rack shows the acceptable "rim width range" for multiple brands/models of 175/55-15 to be 5" - 6". Again, not that it couldn't work, but running 175/55 on a 4.5" rim is not recommended according to Tire Rack's website.

Sample tire:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiProContact&partnum=755TR5CPC&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&tab=Specs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts