Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Maybe when the server admins return to work tomorrow, they'll pull the plug?

But seriously, what is Mercedes doing with owners of other Mercedes vehicle that also use 2G to communicate? Did they provide a hardware upgrade?

What about the possibility of fabbing up some sort of OBD dongle that communicates via either wireless or bluetooth? You wouldn't have as widely available access but it's much better than nothing. Can you power up the OBD port and bus without the key?

·
Registered
729 Posts
They never did say “when” in the new year :p but I’m hoping it’s near the end of the year. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
What about the possibility of fabbing up some sort of OBD dongle that communicates via either wireless or bluetooth? You wouldn't have as widely available access but it's much better than nothing.
Seems that Wi-Fi or Bluetooth could provide a viable solution except for the data collection point currently being the Daimler server?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Probably dependent on when AT&T, or whoever the service provider is, pulls the plug....
I believe that MB is pulling the server plug at some time of their own choosing because they know 2G will be deprecated, rather than monitoring any/every country in which they've sold an ED and wait until the 2G service actually goes away.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
922 Posts
Seems that Wi-Fi or Bluetooth could provide a viable solution except for the data collection point currently being the Daimler server?
A dongle would bypass the Daimler server altogether - your phone would communicate directly with the dongle so the limitation would be that the ED is within Bluetooth range it that the ED can reach your home's wireless network. Still better for my lazy self than walking out to the car and turning it on!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
But seriously, what is Mercedes doing with owners of other Mercedes vehicle that also use 2G to communicate? Did they provide a hardware upgrade?
The developer of the EvAccess app has a B-Class and had not seen the "sundown" notice.

Since the 453 ED apparently never offered connectivity, perhaps only smart is losing the feature?

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
My understanding was that it was discontinuation of 2G service by the carrier(s). So if they aren't just turning it off, they'll probably just let it die a slow death as they replace or service each individual installation. But there would be zero support for failures.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In talking to the GM of my dealership, he said even the new 2018 E class with the new ‘butler’ service where the car comes to you, does not work because of this problem. So it’s not just the smarts, it’s a problem they are working on and hope to resolve early in 2018.

I’ve noticed that there’s a new smart access website that’s taking shape, its https://app-453.secure.smart.com/app/#/choose/ciamlogin notice the new 453 ED AND THE 453 in the URL. It’s still not up and running but you can see their intentions.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Right now, my smart web access is working better than ever. It syncs instantly. Recall those months when it wouldn't work at all?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right now, my smart web access is working better than ever. It syncs instantly. Recall those months when it wouldn't work at all?
Yep. Us too. Whenever we are hooked up to public charging it sends is a 92 percent full message and then a 100 percent full message. Was spotty before.

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
Appears that "my smart" may have been taken off Life Support this morning?

OR NOT, THIS EVENING IT'S WORKING AGAIN?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts