Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, what happened to the "DELETE" thread/post option?

My manager tried posting without me (shame on him)?
He totally fuXXXX - er - Messed up the post.

I know there used to be a "DELETE" post option. I have used it.

IN FACT the TOOLS section mentions it?

"Click on "EDIT" and then click on "DELETE"

So where did the "DELETE" option go?

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Probably one of the upgrades?

Click on the lower left corner
and ask a Mod Squadder to "nuke" it for you . . .

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did that. And I think it's already been done?

BUT, there should be a way for someone to delete their own posts?
Like I said, I have done it in the past?

Why should I have to bother a Mod? They have enough to do running the world, without worrying about my piddly little issues?

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Threads deleted.

As for the "delete" option, we'll get to it next week. Remind me then.

I lost my computer for few days. New HD!

·
Administrator
1,140 Posts
That may be due to our non-delete content policy, as I can see your usergroup doesn't have that permission on it. Unless you edit the post and delete what's inside. We ask if you want a thread to no longer be on the forum, pm a mod or admin/hit the report button and will send it over to the locked archives. (It's a just in case measure should you ever want it reopened or need something from the thread)

KN Community Support

·
Registered
465 Posts
That may be due to our non-delete content policy, as I can see your usergroup doesn't have that permission on it. Unless you edit the post and delete what's inside. We ask if you want a thread to no longer be on the forum, pm a mod or admin/hit the report button and will send it over to the locked archives. (It's a just in case measure should you ever want it reopened or need something from the thread)

KN Community Support
I understand using a mod to delete threads. Deleting a post should be different and easy at least for the 1st 24 hours. A non delete post policy is dumb. That tells me you folks are selling our content.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
That may be due to our non-delete content policy, as I can see your usergroup doesn't have that permission on it.
WHAT, did he say? :shrug:

"May be due to" begs the question, does that make us "special" in VerticalScope Inc world?

And what/where is the "VS non-delete content policy" listed?

·
Administrator
1,140 Posts
I understand using a mod to delete threads. Deleting a post should be different and easy at least for the 1st 24 hours. A non delete post policy is dumb. That tells me you folks are selling our content.
Again if it's just a post you can delete the content in the post in edit mode. We're not selling your content.
WHAT, did he say? :shrug:

"May be due to" begs the question, does that make us "special" in VerticalScope Inc world?

And what/where is the "VS non-delete content policy" listed?
That was a poor choice of words on my part. And the policy is an internal one. IF you want the content fully, permanently, deleted as opposed to archived you need to contact the legal department here at verticalscope.

KN Community Support

·
Registered
449 Posts
Let's be realistic guys. Most forums out there don't allow regular, non-mod, members to delete their posts (beyond editing the content away). Most forums also don't immediately do a full delete either. It's too easy for a "ya delete that post.... Oh wait, it had some useful information in it, bring it back" to result in lost info that people wanted. Most forum software defaults to "deleting" into an archive. The archive may be culled every once in a while to clear out long dead content, or it can be kept.

The amount of effort required for a mod to delete a post is usually two or three clicks. Not a huge amount of time or effort wasted.

I can imagine a few nasty spam attacks that could take advantage of the ability to delete posts too...

Just my 2c, as someone who handles another forum.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
That was a poor choice of words on my part. And the policy is an internal one.

IF you want the content fully, permanently, deleted as opposed to archived you need to contact the legal department here at verticalscope.
Odd but when I read your delete vs archived comments, in the background I hear that classic Eagles tune that pretty much describes the WWW world in which we live -

"you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave".

Yes I understand the legalese but if you can't have a little fun, why get out of bed in the morning?

·
Administrator
1,140 Posts
Odd but when I read your delete vs archived comments, in the background I hear that classic Eagles tune that pretty much describes the WWW world in which we live -

Yes I understand the legalese but if you can't have a little fun, why get out of bed in the morning?
Take whatever musical implications you like from my statement :)

By the way, the email address in this case is [email protected] just an fyi

On a personal note, I would be thrilled if my life were more like Hotel California... Horrific implications of that notwithstanding.

KN Community Support

·
Registered
465 Posts
Let's be realistic guys. Most forums out there don't allow regular, non-mod, members to delete their posts (beyond editing the content away). Most forums also don't immediately do a full delete either. It's too easy for a "ya delete that post.... Oh wait, it had some useful information in it, bring it back" to result in lost info that people wanted. Most forum software defaults to "deleting" into an archive. The archive may be culled every once in a while to clear out long dead content, or it can be kept.

The amount of effort required for a mod to delete a post is usually two or three clicks. Not a huge amount of time or effort wasted.

I can imagine a few nasty spam attacks that could take advantage of the ability to delete posts too...

Just my 2c, as someone who handles another forum.
I'm not an admin so I can't speak to what goes on in the background. But just about every forum I'm on has a delete button for the users in the post. On some you can just click the delete button on YOUR OWN post. On others you have to EDIT then the delete button is in that window. Most have a time out from 24 hours to a couple of days. I do understand that deleting a post on page 5 of a 15 page thread a month after you posted can cause issues.

It's handy. Often reading something makes one want to respond then after a few minutes or the next morning you decide that you really didn't want to get into whatever you did. Just hit delete. But most of the forums I'm on are small and privately owned. Not corporate entities. The bigger corporate forums are starting to look and act more like FB everyday. Not a good thing in my opinion. I have no interest in or use for that place.

I believe this is the 1st time I've ever heard a mod or admin of a forum mention "The legal dept". HMMM!

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
But most of the forums I'm on are small and privately owned. Not corporate entities. The bigger corporate forums are starting to look and act more like FB everyday. Not a good thing in my opinion. I have no interest in or use for that place.

I believe this is the 1st time I've ever heard a mod or admin of a forum mention "The legal dept". HMMM!
Hard to compare small/privately owned blog or forum to a for profit machine like VS who by legal constraints AND in the interest of protecting your privacy may "look and act more like FB."

Welcome to an electronic world where people hide, troll and attack from behind their keyboard.

At the end of the day what really does "delete" mean? Delete may wipe it from current view but it remains on a hard drive/server somewhere and unless you can convince the folks at [email protected], that post will outlive you . . .

KN Community Support (our Neighborhood Watch leader) did provide the appropriate response.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts