Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this car actually be available to purchase in the US? SmartCar has between now, 7-22-07 until 1st quarter 2008 (March 2008) to setup dealerships, import parts, and other logistical actions before the car is offered. That's 8 months. Wishful thinking?

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
I would think as long as there are no "hiccups", the first fortwos will be showing up in the US by March. Now it may be wishful thinking that you or I may see one then!:p ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
No idea how the rest of the country will handle the issue but chrysler dealerships in the great lakes states were-according to my neighbor who is a service advisor with a large local chrysler dealership-supposed to be the sales points.
Now, with chrysler out of the picture, and DB dealerships only located in major metropolitan areas, the issue of "when" may be dependent on "who and where". Some DB dealerships are balking at carrying/servicing the car accd. to the article in Aprils Business Week.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Chrysler could have been a player in bringing the 450 to the states, but Daimler balked on the idea, zo Chrysler has long since been out of the picture. As far as I'm aware, its aways been just Penske and UAG involved in bringing the Smart to the US in limited markets at limited dealerships, some of which would be MB dealers, and some to be stand alone Smart dealers. Who and where are already being determined behind the scenes and won't affect the when.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
No idea how the rest of the country will handle the issue but chrysler dealerships in the great lakes states were-according to my neighbor who is a service advisor with a large local chrysler dealership-supposed to be the sales points.
Now, with chrysler out of the picture, and DB dealerships only located in major metropolitan areas, the issue of "when" may be dependent on "who and where". Some DB dealerships are balking at carrying/servicing the car accd. to the article in Aprils Business Week.

Regarding the MB dealers, I'm pretty certain the "who and where" has been decided. Those of us in the DC area know exactly who and where. The "When" will be determined by the completion of the EPA and NHTSA testing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts