Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I see on previous posts the smart key replacement deal is this:
You can get a blank key shaft and have the electronics in the fob that worked on another smart and it STILL will not work even if the key shaft is cut to fit your ignition slot. In effect you cannot go to a dealership and say:
"Ok here's a key with a blank shaft. Cut the key to fit my smart and reprogram the electronics that are in the fob to fit my current smart".
I'm getting that that is correct and you ah..can't catch a break by providing your own blank keyshaft and an already programmed key fob.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
If the fob is already programmed ...... you can take a blank to your local locksmith and have it cut and it WILL work:)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the fob is programmed with the info for ANOTHER smart? New uncut shaft but electronics from another say out of commission or wrecked smart. If so good!

·
Super Moderator
11,212 Posts
A local locksmith told me he could duplicate the key and it would start the car. The FOB (keyless entry buttons) still would have to be programmed to the car by the dealer, or someone with the correct computer setup.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The smart key remotes appear to be one-time programmable only. They are married to a specific SAM (and VIN) during programming. They do not appear to be re-writable, although I do not know of anyone with a oem diagnostic tool who has attempted it.

Locksmiths can typically clone an existing key electronics so that it appears to be the same as the existing key to the anit-theft system, but I do not know if that is possible on a smart. If they can not program the remote to lock/unlock the car, what is the point? The cost to do one procedure at the dealer is the same as to do both operations.

·
Super Moderator
11,212 Posts
rue, but if you had to, you could use the key to open the door and drive it home to get the second fob. There is a rubber plug below the door handle on the outside that can be removed. It runs a cable that can unlock the door to let you in. Once in, you could use the key to start the car and get to where you need to be to pickup the second key.

Last I heard SOS Diagnostics could program a key fob to work (need all the keys)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts