Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to confirm today that Performance Chrysler Jeep Dodge at I-80 and Harrison will be the Smart dealer in Omaha, Nebraska. Following-up on a rumor from one of the other news groups that Omaha’s dealer will be a Dodge dealer I went out this afternoon and visited all Dodge dealers in town. My second stop proved successful. I was shown the section of the existing build that was framed off where construction is currently under way. I learned the planned opening is mid-December with first deliveries mid-January. Someone from Smart USA is apparently coming over the next few weeks to finalize the details. I was told advertising and reservation holder communication is ready to go, but nothing can go out until the official announcement is made.

This is not far from my house so I’ll plan on stopping by over the coming months. Very exciting!!! Omaha is starting to feel like a big city!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Omaha is starting to feel like a big city!
Hey now! I grew up in Omaha. Proud Central High School grad. I always felt the town was just right. Big enough to have lots of variety in activities and still the small town feel. Too bad it gets so dang cold. :D

tm

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wonder if they will be taking the Des Moines area then. It is closer then Minneapolis. I will definitely opt for Omaha over the Twin Cities.

Supposedly since they get a minimum distribution for being a dealer, and we don't have a whole lot of reservations in this area, we may have an opportunity for an early car, if we find one we like????????

·
Registered
25 Posts
Visted Omaha Dealer

I went to the Omaha dealer Performance Chrysler yesterday, the salesman sid they had 189 orders, must have meant reservations. I knew more then they did just by visting this site, Smart is very perticular about thier set-up, all the way down to color of tile they use on the floor. Should be ready in December.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
189 reservations? That's close to double what I was expecting! Great to hear so many people are interested here. It will be interesting to hear where I sit in the queue (I made my reservation on 3/20 and confirmed on 10/8.) Here's to the top 25!

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
With only 189 "orders" their monthly allocation will be approx 16 units for 2008.
I got a very much different "take" from smart Center VA Beach. They had no "orders," nor did they know in what form thay may get contacts to follow-up on. What they were given (at the time I talked to them) was an indication that they would be servicing about 250 reservation holders, likely more by now. There was no indication that they would be sitting on any allocated lot inventory. The cars would arrive in the order of reservation dates to be prepped and delivered to the customers. I would suspect that the cars would come in small groups though, but still pre-sold.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I stopped by the future Omaha Smart dealer yesterday. They are getting 4 units for Demo drives. They don't know what they will be yet, but they do know they will be getting them. These cars will not be for sale, but are just for demo. They also told me that they can't say for sure if they will have the Des Moines territory. I hope so.

I met the salesman who will be working the Smart cars and he suggested that they should be getting more information in the next 2 weeks. The setup for the Smart area was being worked on while I was there.

He also told me they now have about 280 cars in their allotment for 2008. That makes sense in the profitability model. I suggested that my reservation was in September of this year, and that I would probably just end up buying someone elses cancellation. He said, that would be a good plan if I wanted a car early. I asked him what kind of cancellation rate they were expecting and he said, "about 20%", but that of course it really is hard to know ahead of time.

I will return next month sometime when the Demo cars are available and do some video reporting for everyone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the update Peddlecar! Funny... I was actually planning on stopping by the dealership after work yesterday (it's 2 miles from my office), but got delayed and had to pickup the kids at daycare so I didn't make it.

Quick question... did you get the name of the salesman you talked to? I've been speaking with the new car sales manager (Brandon Johnson) and the his boss (Tyrone Williams). I'd like to introduce myself to the actual sales person the next time I stop by.

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I talked to Tyrone. He seems to be THE GUY at the dealership for SMARTS.

I suspect that you can pretty much figure on getting a car about the same month next year, as the month you reserved this year. It just appears to be working out that way.

I'm so late that I will probably shop for a cancelled order. White or Black Cabrio is what I would settle for, so I think I have a good shot. If not, by the time I get mine normally, they will probably have already announced new options on the 09. Then I will be stuck trying to figure out if I want to wait, especially if they have the diesel option.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I reserved on day one in March. Here's hoping we who are first in line don't have to wait until March 08.

I think they'll have the backlog done sometime later summer next year.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Peddlecar! Sounds like I'm talking to the right person then in Tyrone.

On a side note I see you are from Des Moines. I grew up on a farm by Fort Dodge (NW Iowa) and graduated from Simpson College. I did my internship at Principal Fin Group (Y2K changes in COBOL)... now those were the days! Small world!

·
Registered
86 Posts
So you would be one of the midwesterners who understands why AE Dip is the only real potato chip dip in the world. My daughter moved to Missouri and she buys the dip to take home with her. Why can't everyone make their dip as good?? I don't really know.

Keep us updated on any demo cars. I am wanting to drive the Cabrio and the Passion to make sure the Cabrio isn't too noisy. I should be able to drive them before my confirmation since I have a 1377 number. But hopefully, I can pick up a cancelled order sooner.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm glad Omaha got a dealership. I was expecting to have to go to KC. The gal (Heather?) at Performance said they are expecting deliveries in February. Can I be greedy and wish for a Lincoln dealership?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Omaha Dealership

I live about 5 miles from the dealership. I had all but given up being able to get a smart car soon. In fact I had just used that logic to buy a beautiful restored 66 VW beetle. Guess there will just have to be room for one more in the garage

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick update… I stopped by the dealership over lunch today and talked to Brandon briefly (they were pretty busy). Reservations are over 200 now. They are in the process of hiring a manager to oversee the brand. Construction has been slow, but should pickup here in December. Official opening will be early January, but as soon as the construction is done the showroom will be open. They are compiling an informal email list to communicate with anyone who has given them their contact information (since they do not have the official reservation list yet from Smart USA).

I snapped a few pictures with my mobile (nothing exciting, just the infamous tarp behind which the construction continues and a snapshot of where the entrance / ramp will be to the showroom).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts