Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short time ago we had a discussion concerning car color in relation to visibility and safety. Really, about being hit by another vehicle (

·
Registered
465 Posts
Interesting. I was going to get yellow with silver tridion, but have been leaning towards white with silver...out of 34 cars I've never owned a white car. The display car at the Detroit Auto show was white and silver and every time I lokk at the picture - it just looks clean, (from a design standpoint).

I need the tour to come through so I can see some cars firsthand. One more month for us.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i would like green...of course not available from smartusa - any idea if you can paint the panels? obviously would take a body shop to do this if its even possible. Anyone know??

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd go for white too for safety . . . but I hardly ever wash my car.

I wonder if a custom paint style is available for dusty brown, rain spot, and pigeon poop combo?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thanks, fishrdnc, for a great article. Smartie will be my fourth yellow car, '70 beetle, 2000 beetle, and '81 Honda Civic (still have). No accidents so far.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Thanks fishrdnc.

As mentioned in the study, even though this has been thought of as common knowledge, this is the first real study I have seen on the topic. The concept is why we will be ordering yellow (if our "number" ever gets called).

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I like white because it shows the lines of the car better. Shadows and contrasts are more visible. My only worry is when it's snows. (Leave the lights on!)

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just another little thing: about 8% of humans (mostly male) are color blind to red/green. So though red or green may appear chromatically distinct to most of us, it will appear as some shade of dull grey to the color blind, and they must rely on shape. There is a movement afoot in the EU to surround traffic lights with shapes so the color blind can more easily recognize them.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Interesting. I was going to get yellow with silver tridion, but have been leaning towards white with silver...out of 34 cars I've never owned a white car. .
Based on the article fish posted, you shouldn't forget the aposematic advantage of matching a light color (white or yellow) with a highly contrasting color (black). I don't think the silver tridion will provide as much visibility.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was going to get yellow with silver tridion, but have been leaning towards white with silver...
I saw a yellow and silver one today at Fairfax and Wilshire in Los Angeles. It was quite bright. The silver wasn't too bad, better than black IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts