Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Taking this thread off the mainline, my SAAB experience is four: my parents’ 1957 “93” and mid-’60s “94” (4-cyl. four-stroke Ford). My own were a plain 750cc '59 “93” and a competition ’61 820cc “Monte Carlo.” The 3-cylinder Monte Carlo was much rubbed-against by Gaston Andrey SAAB of Framingham, MA: the intake transfer ports were blocked and the engine breathed through three Dellorto motorcycle carburetors, plumbed through reed valves directly into each of the three crankcase chambers. Probably did about 60 HP. It was run with the free-wheeling locked out (dicey, but a little easier on the brakes).

But one of the basics prevailed: the radiator was BEHIND the engine and the distributor was in FRONT, right inside the open grille. The behind-the-grille roller shade was of limited efficiency. A spray can of CRC wire-drier always had to be carried. Overheating was sometimes a problem in warm, wet weather.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Gaston didn’t drive GT, at least when I knew him. He drove a Ferrari 500TR (500cc per cylinder x 4 = two liter) in SCCA E-Modified. Later a Maserati Tipo 61. Both liveried Swiss red-on-white, and black numbered #25. He also drove a Morgan in E-Prod early-on, and SAABs in endurance races.

Me, I was doing ice racing up in NH. Ahh, the days of knavery!

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Things were in a sort of slow motion. What you did was to reduce tire pressure so that the tires became an intergral part of a soft suspension (other things being non-adjustable in those days). And you didn't have to worry about tires overheating because of running soft - not on ice. The watch-words were: "Tread softly." The trick was to get them back up for the long drive home.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Things were in a sort of slow motion.
Once you're in the zone, high speed road racing can produce the same sensation.

When I lived out in Colorado, I used to head out on a regular basis to Georgetown Lake to watch the ice racing. At the time I had a Corvette with 315/35-16 tires. Not the best winter weather tire (even fully deflated), so participating was out of the question.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it isn't like things seem to happen in slow motion (in non-ice racing), it is that you quickly contract your consiousness to the immediate job at hand. First couple of laps when things are bunched up, you are sensing everything and it is sometimes a trial to identify the priorities. But then, if all is still well with the car, your vision becomes quite narrow; you see only what you need to see, but always quick to pick up on anything that is unexpected, even out of the far corner of your eye. Actually, peripheral vision is an important measurement in an SCCA license medical exam. And, you can't dream out there.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Fish,
Boy do I know those cars! We had 4 of them in our family in the early/mid 60's. My father had a 58 and 60 year model...first years in the US and boy did they ever show Upstate New Yorkers what front wheel drive would do. I would not hesitate to go out to shoot pool or bar hop one bit even if there was 6 inches of snow!! I had a model 93, 1963 with a 4 speed on the column and THAT was a GREAT CAR! I made 5 round trips to FL with it when I went into the service in 66 after graduating from college. (2 years)
ANyway, I got 33 mpg with that car, although it did smoke some it was not that bad really. When I took it down south I used to fool with the service station attendants (yeah, full service then) and ask them to check the oil as I handed them the quart from under the seat and asked them to put it in the gas tank before filling...... had alot of fun with that car....yes, indeed. When I got back from SEA, I bought a brand new '69 Mustang...no more Saabs until Dad bought one of the first 99's, a 74. Good runner but a bear to work on compared to the early bug style Saabs. After that, they got too expensive for my taste's and too expensive to maintain so no more Saab's.
So if I could get 33 mpg way back then with oil in the gas, why can't they do that today????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts