Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just signed up to the site a couple of days ago. I've been looking for a Smart 450 for a little while now, and have zeroed-in on a couple of them. Unfortunately none of them are in my area, so I have only seen them on line...
The one I am leaning towards most has a price tag of $7,995 (about average for what I have found so far), but also has the most mileage (About 60K miles). I know that for any other "regular" car out there it would be considered very low miles (6K plus/year), but I was wondering if it is the same for the 450s, since the other ones I've found are "all" lower mileage!?! (In the 30Ks, 40Ks, there is even one with only 13K!!)
Anyway, other than the mileage differences, the one I really "want" (60K miles), has the Clock, the Tach, and nicer rims. The only thing missing is the Sliding Roof Cover (which none of them has it anyway...). In short, it has all the "little" things that I wish to have on it, and not have to get it afterwards, and have to have it installed probably for more than I would like to pay for...
Have I already answered my own question??
Any help/suggestion will be greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
912 Posts
For the original poster - gas engine (I think the cars that were grey-market-imported to USA) or diesel (Canadian spec)? You don't state your location ... but your use of "miles" suggests USA.

The turbocharged 600cc and 700cc gas engines in the 450 models do not have a good reputation for durability. There are a few high-mileage diesels out there running around, but they have more than their share of headaches, too.

The non-turbo Mitsubishi gas engine in the 451 model is not perfect, either ... but it's a lot better than the older models. And if you are in fact in the USA, parts availability for the 451 is merely annoying and difficult, as opposed to nigh-on impossible for the 450.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Hello everyone,

I just signed up to the site a couple of days ago. I've been looking for a Smart 450 for a little while now, and have zeroed-in on a couple of them. Unfortunately none of them are in my area, so I have only seen them on line...
The one I am leaning towards most has a price tag of $7,995 (about average for what I have found so far), but also has the most mileage (About 60K miles). I know that for any other "regular" car out there it would be considered very low miles (6K plus/year), but I was wondering if it is the same for the 450s, since the other ones I've found are "all" lower mileage!?! (In the 30Ks, 40Ks, there is even one with only 13K!!)
Anyway, other than the mileage differences, the one I really "want" (60K miles), has the Clock, the Tach, and nicer rims. The only thing missing is the Sliding Roof Cover (which none of them has it anyway...). In short, it has all the "little" things that I wish to have on it, and not have to get it afterwards, and have to have it installed probably for more than I would like to pay for...
Have I already answered my own question??
Any help/suggestion will be greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
Be patient. I bought my 2004 cabriolet for $8K including shipping a couple of years ago. It had only 6000 Km on it, and now is up to 11000 Km, There are a LOT of low-mileage smarts out there.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 450 engine will likely need to be rebuilt at 80-100K mi and there is no one that will do it, so you are on your own. If you buy a high-mileage 450, then you likely aren't far from having to deal with that. I can rebuild it, so I'm good with that, but there is not that many people who can; so, there will be plenty of them available to hobbyists. If you aren't mechanically inclined then you should think about a 451 despite the 450's je ne sais quoi! If you must have one then go in with your eyes wide open!:wink:

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Ebay.UK and Ebay.DE have tons of parts for 450's. Problem is a lot of sellers won't ship to the USA. Rebuild kits and rebuilt engines. Canada and Mexico have parts and technicians. Go for the lowest mileage you can find. They are a blast. I got mine with less than 100 miles on it for $9300.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That kind of money will get you a 2006 Diesel grandstyle coupe with around 8000 mile (11400 KM). Heated seats, sunroof and all the options and goodies...you just have to go to Vancouver to get it. :)

Heres the URL

2006 Grandstyle Coupe 191/200 Only 11,400kms Green - Club smart Car
radar231: Man, I wish!! I would have no problem going to Canada to get one. I had found quite a few in my searches - all in Canada - with lower mileage and fairly low prices...The problem would be in registering it here in California (SF Bay Area)...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They pop up on Craigslist in California fairly regularly. If it's a car you're serious about, just be patient and take your time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks Steven. You are correct. I have seen a few in the past, but this one in particular, with the bigger rims...it's just speaking to me...But I haven't made a decision just yet, though!

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
radar231: Man, I wish!! I would have no problem going to Canada to get one. I had found quite a few in my searches - all in Canada - with lower mileage and fairly low prices...The problem would be in registering it here in California (SF Bay Area)...
yeah -- you have to get them to bring it to you! get a title, then a license -- it's not strictly legal to do so though... :crying:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the original poster - gas engine (I think the cars that were grey-market-imported to USA) or diesel (Canadian spec)? You don't state your location ... but your use of "miles" suggests USA.

The turbocharged 600cc and 700cc gas engines in the 450 models do not have a good reputation for durability. There are a few high-mileage diesels out there running around, but they have more than their share of headaches, too.

The non-turbo Mitsubishi gas engine in the 451 model is not perfect, either ... but it's a lot better than the older models. And if you are in fact in the USA, parts availability for the 451 is merely annoying and difficult, as opposed to nigh-on impossible for the 450.
Thanks for all the insight, GoFaster. And sorry I failed to mention my location, Yes - USA, SF Bay Area.
I am really after the 450 model, the 451s don't really do anything for me (No offense to the Model or anyone in here!), but I had not heard all that before, and it sure is worrisome. Definitely something to keep in mind.
Thanks again

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Be patient. I bought my 2004 cabriolet for $8K including shipping a couple of years ago. It had only 6000 Km on it, and now is up to 11000 Km, There are a LOT of low-mileage smarts out there.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 450 engine will likely need to be rebuilt at 80-100K mi and there is no one that will do it, so you are on your own. If you buy a high-mileage 450, then you likely aren't far from having to deal with that. I can rebuild it, so I'm good with that, but there is not that many people who can; so, there will be plenty of them available to hobbyists. If you aren't mechanically inclined then you should think about a 451 despite the 450's je ne sais quoi! If you must have one then go in with your eyes wide open!:wink:
NICE, Kenny! I would never be that lucky!! Congrats on that.
Needing rebuild at about 80-100K Miles...That is definitely some news I did not want to hear. Definitely something to keep in mind.
Ha, ha! Yep - I got the bug. The "Je ne sais quoi" of the 450s got me good!!
We'll see. I'll keep everyone posted in whatever decision I'll make.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ebay.UK and Ebay.DE have tons of parts for 450's. Problem is a lot of sellers won't ship to the USA. Rebuild kits and rebuilt engines. Canada and Mexico have parts and technicians. Go for the lowest mileage you can find. They are a blast. I got mine with less than 100 miles on it for $9300.
Thanks for the info, Stretchmobile. I did not know that, either. Will definitely check them all out.
That was definitely an awesome deal - Congrats on that!!
And thanks again.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
One nice thing about a 450 in CA, is you can get a smog exempt on it. CA doesn't require biannual smog inspections on engines under 50 cubic inches. 450 gas engine is 42 cubic inches. Does require you to do some foot work and trip to the smog referee station. You could theoretically put any engine in it after that.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
not to scare you off entirely -- I mean I got one and am perfectly happy with it, but I know what I got and I'm Okay with all that. As mentioned the 451 can have issues too, but they have support to deal with it, which thing the 450 doesn't have. Having said that, the internet is a POWERFUL tool and much of what you need to know can be found there!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One nice thing about a 450 in CA, is you can get a smog exempt on it. CA doesn't require biannual smog inspections on engines under 50 cubic inches. 450 gas engine is 42 cubic inches. Does require you to do some foot work and trip to the smog referee station. You could theoretically put any engine in it after that.
Thanks again, Stretchmobile. I did not know that, either...
(Well, it is turning out that I REALLY don't know anything about these cars and all that goes with them!)
Man, am I glad I found this site and all of you!
Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not to scare you off entirely -- I mean I got one and am perfectly happy with it, but I know what I got and I'm Okay with all that. As mentioned the 451 can have issues too, but they have support to deal with it, which thing the 450 doesn't have. Having said that, the internet is a POWERFUL tool and much of what you need to know can be found there!
Thanks Kenny!
I understand. And you are right about the Internet being a powerful tool. Look at how much I've already learned from all of you here Tonight!
Very insightful. Very happy I found this site!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I hear you Want1, when I got my 451 I was happy and I liked but I fell in love with the 450 11 years ago, so when I finally got one I loved it!
Mine has 4,092 miles as of today, it's a cabrio with Coreline wheels.
I recently found a dealer here in the US with 5 Fortwos 450s for sale with low mileage, I'll look for it again and post the link.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts