Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thanks for the reminder of our great breakfast gathering in Chapala and the photo of our black 2007 Passion right in front of the breakfast restaurant.
We'll have to do it again.

·
Super Moderator
28,247 Posts
ALSRAC, great photos. Thanks! You're doing some stereotype busting here which is a good thing. :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I hadn't thought of "stereotype busting" as a factor here, having lived in Mexico for the last nine years, but I guess it is probably true. Most folks north of the border seem to think that Mexico is stuck somewhere in the distant past, when it is actually a vibrant place, where all the modern conveniences can be found, high speed superhighways actually exist and art and culture are alive and well. The headlines, caused by the drug cartel competition for the US market, seem to register in everyone's mind, while the violence in US cities, also generally drug related, slip into the fog of 'routine'. As such, we actually live very peacefully here, feeling safer and less threatened by random violence than if we were in the USA. Since we have little or no reason to even visit up there again, we're here for 'the duration'.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Good answer RVGringo, I lived 20 years in Mexico, just came back 8 years ago, you're right, the violence exists here in the USA too, in Mexico is just drug related, here you hear about shootings at schools very often, that's scarier.
Can't wait to move back to Mexico.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lived near Chapala for several years, just over the mountain going north. Loved it there. The people are great and the weather wonderful. If my wife would let us I would move back there in a heartbeat

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ahhhh Mexico. We miss it already and we just got back in April after 11600 kilometers of touring around in our 22 foot motorhome. Alsrac thank you so much for the pictures. In the last 3 years we have travelled over 30,000 KM and visited 27 of the 31 Mexican States. What an incredibly beautiful country with an amazing culture and history. Guadalajara is one of our favourite cities but I think San Cristobal is still our favourite...AND SMALLER. I'll tell you though, once you have spent some time in a Mexican city like Guadalajara it is everything you can do to not pack up and move there right then. What a town. The most stressful city we have driven in still goes to Guanajuato. All those tunneds and then of course the GPS doesn't work. We knew we were in trouble the second time through the same tunnel. :) Amazing city though.
Although many people like to visit the coastal tourist spots for us the interior of Mexico is the real Jewel. I suspect when the time comes we may settle in for a retirement in a place like San Cristobal or maybe even Oaxaca. Of course it will then be a "fat" retirement as the food in that neck of the Mexican woods is incredible. We have bunches of pictures on JohnandAngela.ca under the Mexican links.

Thanks again ALSRAC. Think we may have corresponded on the Mexican forum once or twice. I'm the guy with the bad spanish :)

41 - 49 of 49 Posts