Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where I park my ED in my garage, there are no lights, and at night it is hard to see the charger connection. Takes me a few tries to get it mated up with the charger nozzle.

Anyone try out a solution for this? I've thought about putting a small stick-on LED inside the 'fuel' door, or even spray-painting the inside area in a bright silver or white to make the connection area stand out.

I know, it's a small thing to grumble about, but I bet someone out there has got a nice fix for it...

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Put your fingers/ thumb in a certain location while watching the insertion. Then do it a few times by feeling. I realize it sounds corny, yet next to getting a sticky button cell light, it's a thought..

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Excellent idea. Like working in a darkroom. Once you learn it by feel, you won't need to see it. Back in the day when X-rays were developed on film, I loaded x-ray film cassettes by touch in the darkroom. If there are no tactile cues, they can be added.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got one of those itty bitty flashlights powered by a button battery on my keychain. Got it free with an order of parts for my Glock. It's probably not the best solution, but it works well enough to keep me from looking for something better. It's been running on the same battery for a couple of years, but I only use it for a few seconds at a time for lining up the EVSE, and for getting my key in the front door.

·
Registered
184 Posts
for me left hand under the connector on the car, then sliding the charger in with right hand works. Don't even need to look.

·
17,345 Posts
I know, it's a small thing to grumble about, but I bet someone out there has got a nice fix for it...
You know what, this is actually something I've never really thought about. A built in fuel filler/charger light would be really handy on both ED and ICE models.

·
17,345 Posts
You could buy a headlight halo ring and create an illuminated ring around the filler neck/charge point! Very Tron-like! :cool:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Where I park my ED in my garage, there are no lights, and at night it is hard to see the charger connection. Takes me a few tries to get it mated up with the charger nozzle.

Anyone try out a solution for this? I've thought about putting a small stick-on LED inside the 'fuel' door, or even spray-painting the inside area in a bright silver or white to make the connection area stand out.

Very simple, just put a light in your garage. Mine has a light. When I open the garage door, light turns on automatically.

What if a thief is hiding in there? If you go in the dark one can attack you and kill you in a second or a cat can jump on you or you can trip over something and break a nail:D I don't trust darkness. Very risky business.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a light in my garage, but it is in the center, and I have my charger on the far right side of the garage. So it is in "intense shadow", and my night vision is not the best.

Some creative responses guy, I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Same here. I have an overhead light that comes on with my garage door opener but it doesn't help. Even if the socket were a different colour it would probably solve the problem, but the black makes it impossible to see for alignment. I was thinking of installing an LED on the male plug.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking that if I spray-painted everything inside the door silver or chrome, then when I popped the spring-loaded connector cover it's outline would show up against the light background.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
There is a light in my garage, but it is in the center, and I have my charger on the far right side of the garage. So it is in "intense shadow", and my night vision is not the best.
Perhaps a mirror, mounted to angle a part of the light from the overhead directly at where the fuel door normally is when parked?

·
aka 'Red-Devil'
276 Posts
Just be careful not to get any paint on the electrical contacts.

I was thinking that if I spray-painted everything inside the door silver or chrome, then when I popped the spring-loaded connector cover it's outline would show up against the light background.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lights On

One of the best things to see your connection.
An LED camo hat - works great.
Bought at Lowe's
Keep it in the car!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just be careful not to get any paint on the electrical contacts.
that's why I was thinking, spray paint it with the inner contact cover closed, and leave that area black plastic. So when I pop open the contact cover, it would show as a dark-against-light background.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts