Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I intend to compete in the 2020 One Lap Of America in a Smart Fortwo.

Weather it will be my current 2014 451 Smart brought up to meet tech inspection qualifications, or a purpose built Smart Fortwo for the event will be determined at some point later this year. In order to fully evaluate what will be the best way to go about my pursuit of the 2020 One Lap Of America competition run. I will be putting current Smart 451 through a training run during this years (2019) One Lap Of America tour.

My Intent is to be in South Bend Indiana for the start of the Brock Yates 2019 One Lap Of America and follow the tour to each event along the 7day 3,300 mile tour as a training run. I will not be entering any of the on track competitive events. I will show up, enjoy the events, absorb the energy, get lots of photos and memories, study what it may take to be competitive, converse with anyone willing to talk with me, then head out to the next event with the pack. Being the lone driver (competitors have a 2 member team minimum, 4 member team maximum) I will head out to the next event with the earliest groups heading out. This will make it clear to me who will be my team member in 2020 because I will know what type of person will be up for a 7 to 8 day tour in the close quarters of the Smart Fortwo, Especially in competition mode where breaking the car is not out of the question.

So here is what I have done with 6 days to go until May 4th day one of the Brock Yates 2019 One Lap Of America..........

Zeroed out My Bank Credit Card. Washed my sleeping bag, removed every thing from the car but essential tools, and minimum cleaning items....... That's it. I will check the tire pressure and re confirm the fluid levels on Thursday before my drive from New York City to South Bend Indiana (702 Miles). A familiar route as I drove it to the Michigan Fall Smart car rally (613 miles), and had a blast. I will also, with good fortune, install the Smart madness Go Pedal expected delivery Monday April 29 before the trip. Another Item I would like to install is a front lip splitter that I received yesterday. It doesn't seem like the weather will cooperate as New York City will either be raining or too cold between now and Thursday to be ideal for that install. In fact the entire 7 day tour will be under the threat of rain. So much for a clean Shinny car. My Yokohama S drive tires will be perfectly at home on the wet roads. I will also buy a camera for the trip.

Why so little prep? Well My daily driven Smart Car is pampered Oil less 400 miles, air and cabin air less then 4 months old. Flex pipe and muffler work less then 2 months old. I drive more often with the radio off listing to every thump bump rumble and hum.
So the Harlem edition Smart is road ready. Being that it is not going to be driven competitively to its limits, the clear Bank credit card should take care of any non catastrophic need at the local Wallmart, Advance Auto or Autozone or Pepboys same as at home. Any Catastrophic failure.... well Prayers and Good Judgement will guide us through those.

A case of water in the drivers side floor, a decision on healthy snacks. a water proof sneaker and rain suite plus the camera is all I will do before I roll out to South Bend on my 2020 One Lap Of America training run.

·
17,360 Posts
That sounds absolutely fun!!! I know a few smarts have done it before, with someone taking a brand new 451 on the event back in 2008 and I think another smart did it in 2014 as well. IIRC, the team from 2008 actually did better than some far faster cars!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well I worked both my Saturday and Sunday days off. Today (Monday) after work the weather held off the rain and got up to 60 degrees, so I got a little time in with the car. Front Splitter is in place really compliments the rear mid hatch spoiler and polishes off the overall look of the car. Very Happy and only a 15 dollar item. Go Pedal arrived and was installed. Took it for a short cruise thumbs up, perfect install, will post about it. I did have a failure on an Item I bought to go around the key hole. A ring of blinged up crystals, pretty and fit perfect. but the metal disrupts the ability for the key to be recognized. Just a 2 dollar item and was able to re purpose it elsewhere. So car looks great will get rained on the next couple of days. But hey, it is scheduled to rain every day at every stop along the One Lap Of America tour lol , and it snowed in Chicago over the weekend.

3 days until I head off to South Bend Indiana.

·
17,360 Posts
Snow's all gone, here. We got 6 inches but it didn't even last even a half day before it was taken out by warm temps. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Can you post a link to the splitter?
Well I worked both my Saturday and Sunday days off. Today (Monday) after work the weather held off the rain and got up to 60 degrees, so I got a little time in with the car. Front Splitter is in place really compliments the rear mid hatch spoiler and polishes off the overall look of the car. Very Happy and only a 15 dollar item. Go Pedal arrived and was installed. Took it for a short cruise thumbs up, perfect install, will post about it. I did have a failure on an Item I bought to go around the key hole. A ring of blinged up crystals, pretty and fit perfect. but the metal disrupts the ability for the key to be recognized. Just a 2 dollar item and was able to re purpose it elsewhere. So car looks great will get rained on the next couple of days. But hey, it is scheduled to rain every day at every stop along the One Lap Of America tour lol , and it snowed in Chicago over the weekend.

3 days until I head off to South Bend Indiana.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
One more work day before heading to South Bend. Still haven't picked up a camera. Was set mentally on a Samsung wb350F, of course it is a discontinued item. Watching the weather.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have about 6 hours of my workday before I and on vacation and of to explore the One Lap Of America tour. I am tired today and have one work meeting today that has the potential to aggravate me. So that is the immediate hurdle in front of me. Don't want to hit the road tired and aggravated. But mentally on the other side of that hurdle I would to be rolling at 8pm tonight. Get home cut my hair eat a snack and take a nap. I was lookin in the mirror and said "in case this trip includes a mug shot at some point my hair should be neater lol. Don't want a Nick Nolte / James Brown moment.

Its up to 70 degrees here in New York. Really need to go straight to best buy and get the camera. I am going to get the Stereo from Columbus Ohio, and the tire repair tool kit in Illinois, on the trip. The is also a Mercedes dealer in New Jersey who has Smart rubber floor mats for 50 dollars. Might be able to time that for pick up also, though they are closed on Sunday.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
8:40 pm Thursday made it through the workday un aggravated. A little running around did clean out car and its 8:40 wife objects to trimming my hair. So I will now lay down and head out when I wake up. Looks like Saturday will be radio pick up day. Plan for tomorrow is, when I get sleepy the first time find the nearest Walmart and buy The camera, if still sleepy, nap in the parking lot.

time for some sleep..........

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Left NYC at 4:00 am stopped at 50 miles stopped at 100 miles then found my sea legs and drove 300 ,miles. Now in Youngstown Ohio about 3and a half hours out. At 172 miles heard noise suspected I lost a trim ring off a wheel. At 350 ,miles feels like a balance shimmy at 80 miles. Now that I am stopped at 420 miles confirmed rear right trim ring is gone. Peeled off residual glue tape tire pressures are gauge correct. So whipped its dirty little self off.
Getting gas will see if shimmy is less. Its 65 degrees and light drizzle. Nice cruise to this point. I did bring a spare trim ring piece but won't put on until it can sit a couple of hours. Worst case scenario I will pull them all off. They lasted a year and a half I and happy with that. In fact the one that came off is the off I scrub the curb with when parking a lot.
To this point 42.00 gas 20 dollars snacks and a micro USB cord for my tablet. Headed back out 1125 am

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Made it to Indiana at 3:15 pm stopped at 3:30 for pit stop. Now 50 miles from South Bend. Car is running Great. The shimmy is far far less but I believe the trim ring on the front left is the cause I of the remaining Shimmy. After a couple of photos tomorrow with the trim rings on I believe I will take them all off. If I should opt for a tire rotation and wheel balance they would have to come off anyway. And if it solves the trouble, I will deal with it when back home.
Second issue left front fender shifted down some I'm gonna tend to that right now tire rubbed when I turned for gas. Then another 25 dollars of gas and moving on. It's not raining so another wipe down is also in order.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well at 5:15 pm I pulled into the Waterford Estates lodge parking lot. OMG. I'm here. And there are some Beast in this parking lot all decked out in OLOA logos and decals. WOW.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Took a few photos with my tablet in the parking lot.

Then to Autozone because I quickly decided the The Harlem Edition should look its best and the extra trim ring piece I have tape looks weak. I bought the trim ring $16.00. Its a little to cold right now to put it on as tape might not set up so good, so patients will have to do. Then over to Walmart and picked a Canon PowerShot SX420 IS on sale for $199.00 because it was on Sale and reviewed as good in low light. As My Smart looks best at night. and 64 gig micro SD card for $13.00. Now I will head to Dicks Sporting Goods for a Froggs rain suit and Nike sneakers I saw on sale. The Autozone and wall mart where 5 mins from the lodge. Dicks look like 20 min ride . Then I will go to the event spot for tomorrow to see where it is. Then find some shelter. on the cheap .

And one more annoyance is my chrome tail pipe is changing tint to more bronze. Might paint it black with some extreme temp paint. But I will wait until I put the trim ring back on the rear wheel before I decide. I know I will be getting a new tip .

I would just work on the car all night if it was warm. But I'll get sheltered up eat an watch the game. Go Warriors. Lots of One Lap cars buzzing around town. Noisy exhaust seems a must for them. The Smart will be anti noise lol.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok went to Dicks Sporting goods last night got a snack and got a great last minute hotel deal from Hot Wire .com down the street from Waterford lodge (which was full) at Baymount property.

Its 530am Saturday Morning. Some time today I need to find an air filter. I suspect mine if very dirty sucking all the wet dirty highway air. and Car needs a Vacuum. I put 720 miles on the car yesterday. So day one was successful.
Lesson learned for next year I need to be off the whole day before travel to event. I was sleepier than I should have been Yesterday. soaking in the tub

Gonna watch video on Camera use then head out by 730 AM. Follow somebody to the Tire Track Skid Pad event.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts