Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
May 9 2016. Day 6 Track #7 .

The drive from Hastings to Blackhawk Farms was 596 miles most of it in heavy rain. I was way too tired but the car is driving very well and I didnt get sleepy until about 100 miles left to go. At that point I had Just stopped for gas. When I got back on the highway a group of 4 One lap cars went by. That perked me up and I stayed with that group for the next 50 Miles until got behind a truck and they got too much of a gap and ran away from me. That last 50 miles was grueling. The only scare of the trip was a truck passing me during that stretch where as he went by I felt my self drifting to his lane as the trailer got next to me. I stopped got some Starbucks energy shot vanilla coffee. Sat for a half hour then drove the last 9 miles. I pulled into the one lap hotel parking lot and Hotwire booked me 4 miles away. Got to my room and got a real good rest with dreams of gems spotted along the way.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
OK back to a better pace. Get up, nice hot shower. some stretching, a little Breakfast, Head out to the track, according to Waze 20 mins away. I feel well rested the rain has let up and listed as a brief shower before 11 am and dry with some sun after that. Track time is 830 am. i will get there about 9 am today. I arrived at Blackhawk all in order.

This is the overal leader to this point.............................................................................A Bad morning

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So here at BlackHawk Farms the sun did come out and dried up things a bit. Temp go up to low 60's. With that break I put a god waxing on the car, and enjoyed the cars out on the track.

Those big boys where ripping it up today.

I also had the best Bratwurst I've tasted in a long time at the track food stand. This is another flat road track as it gets drier the group seems to enjoy it. Every one seems to be having a real good time. I grabbed two more Bratwurst as I finished the last one there was a 3 group of VW's headed out so I followed them out to the highway.

all Cleaned up and ready to go

498 miles to Bowling Green Kentucky. I have change the settings to Sport +2 on the Go Pedal, Mentally I feel the old setting was better. A stop for gas and I put Pedal on ECO +1 I seem to be getting the lowest gas millage now 35 to 37 mpg.
Could be all mental could be more hills headed to Kentucky. About 5 hours in to the run I stopped and went back to Sport Plus + 2, LOL at least I am mentally happy millage back to 40 - 41mpg I am driving mostly in manual cruise along in 5th gear down shift to 4th for power passing and topping hills. I am running about 75 when by myself. Speed limit is 70. When a SUV comes along running at a higher speed I get behind him a with the draft I move right on along tucked in behind them. That is when the car is most comfortable, Cruising along in the draft.

For food I don't seem to be hungry much but 15 dollars a day is seems to be what I have averaged. Gas I have all the receipts in the glove box and will sort that out when I get home. It was odd when I was in so areas that did not offer 93 octane only as high as 91. Didn't seem to matter to the car.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I took the Drive to Bowling Green in 150 mile chunks. I didn't get sleepy at all. The Indiana highways have some brutal patches where hitting some of the potholes at and above 70mph could be fatal. I hit 2 of those and apologized profusely to my little Smart who just kept trucking along. The car is really ridding well and shifting great Go Pedal Sport Plus +2 is my setting. I got in to bowling green just after midnight an sat in the One Lap Hotel Parking Lot about 20 Min Because Hotwire could not book a room for the night before so I picked a room out of one of the Coupon books 44 dollars directly adjacent to the National Corvette Museum which is where tomorrows event is. I was able to see the crowed of One Lap competitors at the entrance of the hotel as the said they would be hanging out tonight. I called my hotel and booked a room. I was going to drive through the parking lot and look at all the pretty cars on the way to my hotel about 2 miles away. As I drove past the entrance The group cheered, some yelled "Stalker Stalker Stalker" lol and " You Made It" and had me pull up front. I had can of beer and a One Lap Initiation Shot. One driver Strapped a pink unicorn in my passenger seat. I shook hands, took pics, thanked every one, then eased to my hotel. That was really nice of them as they where all aware of the Smart Car tagging along the entire event.

I got to my hotel and got freshened up and had a good nights rest.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Had a good time at Corvette track. I headed out at Noon for the 380 mile drive north back to South Bend Indiana.

before leaving out i noticed my for lights grill signal reflectors and PitBull grill emblem were missing. I laughed and thought of all the rough roads and the wheel vibrations and pot holes over the trip that had now been over 4,000 miles in the last 6 days. I figured they had all shook them selves loose. I stopped by an Autozone but they were out of the Pit Bull emblems. 7 dollars for emblem, 22 dollars for lights, 4 dollars for reflectors. No issue.

May go with a light bar behind the grill
Well off to South Bend.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I got back to South Bend Indiana ahead of the pack one Viper pulled in to the lot ahead of me. I waited around for a 15 cars then went to a Hotwire booked Quality Inn. Very nice in my room before 9pm. Watched Warriors win over Houston Rockets. While I was looking through my pictures I noticed that my front end pieces were in place the night I parked in the hotel at the Corvette Museum and were gone in the morning. That means the did not fall of from vibration but were stolen over night. Strangely that makes me feel better and now very thankful nothing worse was done be cause all told 32 dollars will replace the parts.

Tomorrow last event Dry Skid Pad at Tire Rack Headquarters. Then a 10 hour plus drive back New York.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Back At Tire Rack Headquarters this shows my trip odometer that had been set to zero from my home before the drive began.

2019 One Lap Of America Tour Completed 5/11/2019

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The Final Winner ......... Me.

Back Home in NYC final millage door to door for 2019 One Lap Of America tour.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hey TW , I like the look of your ride without the trim rings ! Seems more aggressive . Congrats on the lap and completing it without any major issues .

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hey TW , I like the look of your ride without the trim rings ! Seems more aggressive . Congrats on the lap and completing it without any major issues .
Thanks I'm gonna give it a month. On the show and shine circuit cute is the biggest attraction to the car. Bad Azz is a tougher sell and when its dirty all black rims and tires look really dirty. I do intend to have the 215/45 17 early July, and move the 205/40 17 up front.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
So the One Lap Of America event was a gem to behold. The Cars, The Noise, The Camaraderie it was a great event.
The Driving was very enjoyable to me as I love to drive. The Smart Fortwo was worked into a really nice road trip car. I like driving this car and it got better
and better as the drive went on. The car proved very capable and handled the point to point driving of the tour. The track driving portion of the tour would still have to be overcome. But in order to compete in the Full One Lap event some verifiable track time and or Performance Driving School would be is required.
Therefore the car could be shaken out for track use and capability. On the Competitive note, I do not believe I have a path to a competitive Smart Fortwo
in the next 12 months. That is to say that the performance level of the cars I saw at this years event are just far too superior for my current Smart car. So I would either have to build a smart car that could run 130 MPH up hill. If not I would be attending the event only to be on the tracks but non competitive. that in essence would be the same as the tag along run I just completed. I would not be interested in that. As Mr Yates Jr. Look me right in the eyes and said you are certainly welcome to run next year, "Find Some Horse Power". Now another option would be to have 5 other Smart Cars run and then it would be a 6 car competitive group.

So the training run is over. I will see how much muscle I can get into my car and put in some track time. I got a lot of feed back on front suspension ideas for various competitors. I truly believe I can compete in the skid pad competition. So next years prep has begun.

Another part of the equation is that competition teams must be 2 person teams. Who would be the second person.
I will tally up the gas receipts and other expenses, including waiting for the probable camera speed violations lol.
It was worth it all.. I had lots of fun and memories.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I never did receive any Mailed tickets for any traffic violations. So the total of the trip cost is solid and final.

I also am sure I will not run the 2020 One Lap Of America Tour with my Smart.

My New Intention is to drive my Smart out west next May, Mainly to drive the Pacific Coast Highway from San Diego to Seattle. Should be close to 8,000 miles on that trip. I have started to prepare the car for that trip replacing all front end pieces that were damaged in a accident prior to my purchasing the car. Engine belts and suspension work will come this fall and winter.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
PCH passes some of the most beautiful scenery along California’s long coastline. May have a chance to go meet you at stops like Huntington Beach or Santa Monica when you go.

Awesome, just awesome. Your wife may want to come?.....

41 - 60 of 67 Posts