Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I said. One of my key fobs quit working. Yes, I changed the batteries in both keys. Both keys still start the car. I did disable the auto lock. I don't know which key I was using when I did that. Is that a clue? also I found out I can't lock the door manually with the key, only un lock.:shrug:
Is there any thing I can do?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Hiawassee, one of my favorite places in the world. Pretty country up there.
The keys will only manually unlock the door by physically pulling a cable. You should be able to lock the door from the dash with the door open, and the door will be locked when you close it. You have a limited time to lock the door with the dash button before it times out. It has been said that if you do not use a key long enough, the sam will no longer recognize the unused key. I do not know how true that is.
I have seen replacement fobs available to fit your existing key, but it would have to be programmed along with the SAM by a STAR diagnostic computer.
Or you may contact the following for other options: S.O.S. Diagnostics They can do things the dealers may not be willing or able to do, and may be able to answer questions better than about anyone else since they deal with the programming of these beasts. :D

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I cycle mine every 3-4 months for that reason. the sam will forget the key if it is not used. security so a lost key can't be used to open a car

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Just put New batteries in my two because one Quit working... The one that quit was the one used every day for 2 1/2 years. the other one worked fine (never used) (it didn't forget how to work)... Changed out both batteries, and all is well...

New Battery Date: 2019

·
Registered
6 Posts
I visited S.O.S. Diagnostics last month, just south of Portland OR. Really sharp team over there, they have multiple systems for talking to your SAM unit and reprogramming your smart key. (In my case, they had to talk to my ZEE unit, and they can do that too.) I have no connection to them, but am a happy customer.

If for some reason your dealer cannot or will not duplicate a key for you, SOS is the place to go. You can send them your SAM and your dead key, and they can make it work again (or reprogram a new key blank) without even needing the car to be physically present.

In short, I highly recommend SOS!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hmm, there must be a conspiracy. ;) I noticed one of my fobs wasn't working Sunday evening.

I tried swapping batteries and putting a brand spankin' new battery in with no luck in either case. I always carry both keys, so it is highly unlikely that I'm using only one (not impossible mind you).

S.O.S. is not my friend... I'm in Western New York.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts