Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put 'one' in the subject line because I may have others down the road. This one is something I may be able to address in the immediate future if someone can tell me the actual name/part number and a good place to obtain.

My original '08 car is gone, replaced with an '09. The '08 was damaged by Hurricane Michael. Oddly, the 'new' car has the same problem with the hood/bonnet flap...whatever it's called.

There apparently are supposed to be some type of grommet in the flap itself where the hood latch attaches to hold it down. In both cars, both of them went missing. Where the latch is supposed to hold down, there's just a hole in the plastic which is too large to do anything, something is gone.

So, what are these inserts called, and where can I get them? I'd like to hold the flap on without using Gorilla Tape.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
nothing on the 'hood' itself, but there is a 2 piece latch on the grille (sort of) and there is a left side and a right side.

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My latches are fine. I may have to rip my Gorilla Tape off to take a picture for y'all.
In the "hood" itself, there are openings on each side, cooresponding to where the latch should secure the hood. The openings are too big to do the trick though. I'm having to assume some sort of grommet or fixture is supposed to go into those holes for the latches to latch onto.
I guess I'm going to have to get a picture and re-tape the hood.

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I had seen that before. Frankly, the "illustration" is useless. What reason do they have for publishing such useless figures? I guess you just cross your fingers and spend you money based on the text description.

Thanks.

Now I'm wondering, does it just snap into place? Guess I'll find out.

And wondering if the hood comes with them already installed, anyone know?
With mine needing a paint job anyway, that may be an option.
They've got a Blue one for $103.75
Having mine painted would likely cost more than that.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
There are other online stores. Shipping may be cost prohibitive, and user Johannesl found another cheap one is https://www.genuinemercedesparts.com .

I wish I still had mine I’d go look to see what’s there! But if I recall the larger piece of the two parts listed is actually two pieces, with a pin in the center holding them together. As you swivel the front part into place flush with the grill the other part rotates upwards to make a shape of the cross and latches somehow....

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
the upper latch fits in the hood when it is shut and is large enough to latch when it is rotated. there isn't an insert that goes on the hood, at least not on my last 3 smarts. If the upper and lower latches are not properly assembled, the hood will not be held down tightly. the upper latch piece can be put on upside down and it doesn't work too good. Also there is a left and a right side latchfor both upper and lower parts, don't get the upper parts mixed up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts