Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been one week since I picked up the car. I've already done 600km on it and loving every second of it.

My other car is a Porsche 964, so as you can imagine getting a smart car was a big step, but I wanted an electric and buying a Tesla is just not attainable at this time.

So far, I've been all over the place with the ED, haven't changed my schedule at all. Never said no to any meetings, just got in and went. I should also add that I am not a mileage watcher, I drive the smart car as I would any other car. In fact, today I had a nice 0-70km/h drag race (don't worry, it was a 70 zone) against an Charger SRT8 and we were side by side the whole way (which I thought was weird, but hilarious, especially because the other driver didn't know what's going on). I also ended up driving 100km on the dot in one day, and my battery shut off as soon as I parked in my drive way - that was a bit stressful.

My thoughts so far:
Love the car. 0-60km/h is just so quick! The handling is very good, feels like a go-kart on the street.

The range could definitely be better, I get 90 -100km on a full charge, mind you the temperature is hovering below 0 degrees. Although this range works within my needs, I would definitely like to have a 50km buffer room. So ideally if the car was rated for 200km, it would be a lot better (for me).

It's taking me a bit of time to get used to how small it is, stuff that should really be very easy (like reversing) is more challenging only because I keep thinking that the car is larger.

Wind is a problem, especially on the highway. I have to always pay attention to where I'm steering as the car does get tossed a bit. Nothing to be worried about, just the nature of driving a lighter, tall car.

Charger is my biggest pet peeve so far. Who thought that putting only a 3.3kw charger on board was a good idea? Even the range I can live with, as long as I can stop by my house, plug it in for an hour and give it additional 30-50km. That said, I haven't installed the quick charger yet, and I may change my mind about it after.

In terms of options:
I'm SO GLAD I got the GPS dashboard, connectivity to my iphone was a must.
Ambient lighting is great, and I use cruise control more than I imagined.

Creeks and rattles also seem to come with the car, but I understand that in the heart of it all, it's still a 15 thousand dollar vehicle and I wasn't expecting anything different.

Overall, I'm sooo happy with this car though. As a daily driver, I can honestly say I'll never own ICE car again. As a toy... that's another story :D

·
Registered
646 Posts
Its a fun and attention-grabbing car. I get more comments on it than when I was driving my 509hp Mustang. I'm surprised about the creaks and rattles, I haven't had any issues with that so far.

And I like mine a lot better since I installed the Clipper Creek 240v charger in my garage. In two hours I can recoup 40% SOC, which makes it more liveable. But the 110v works just fine as long as you don't mind an all-night charge.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It's been one week since I picked up the car. I've already done 600km on it and loving every second of it.

Creeks and rattles also seem to come with the car, but I understand that in the heart of it all, it's still a 15 thousand dollar vehicle and I wasn't expecting anything different.

Overall, I'm sooo happy with this car though. As a daily driver, I can honestly say I'll never own ICE car again. As a toy... that's another story :D
Glad you are enjoying your Smart ED! I took delivery the day you purchased, but only have 600km on the car myself.

I've not had any rattles or squeaks myself, but I crank the tunes pretty good on my short drive to work... :wink:

The more I drive, the more I enjoy the small size, easy to merge into lanes, especially with a quick squirt on the throttle and 100% kick-down to pass and get into openings.

Most fun car ever! (And I had a 300HP Z28 back in the 90's).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Compared to my 2008 passion my ED has no creeks or rattles in the cabin.

It's also much more stable on the highway than my passion since it has power steering.

The size is the absolute plus of the car once you get used to it, nothing else like it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I should mention that my car does make all the normal "funny" noises (like the ABS self-check when first driving off), but no interior rattles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another very happy (50mi/day) new owner!

I picked mine up 8 days ago, and have driven it every day since. My "Other" car is a Mercedes S550, which was requiring about $80 of high test every week- so I'm basically saving money after the lease, insurance, electricity, etc!

I commuted every day approx 50 miles- yesterday, it was up to 67 miles (with starting SOC of about 88%). All between charges.

I've learned to love the slow lane, love traffic jams!

The model I bought was pretty close to bare-bones. I took a '13 they had left, and it had heated seats (which may become important as it gets much colder).

It really really is fun (aside from the occasional stress from worrying about the edge of the SOC cliff). I received my "Charge Point" RFID tags yesterday, and have the "OnCharge" cards on order. I have yet to charge anywhere but my house, using the 110V wall wart.

In the past week, my Brother-in-Law (who is a banker/blues man) was so inspired by my early reports, he has gone out and procured himself an electric vehicle, for all the same reasons. Although he ended up getting a "Leaf," he says he has NEVER been happier with a new car.

I plan to start looking into investing in the companies supporting the infrastructure for these types of vehicles- they are so much fun, we may be looking at a significant paradigm shift in the way we commute in the United States! And NO, I'm not getting rid of the Panzer!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Glad to hear! I too am enjoying my ED. Kickdown mode is probably my favourite thing to do when it is safe to do so. That & waving at people who constantly stare.

·
Registered
312 Posts
We also love our ED. It has its quirks but far less than ICE vehicles. I am deathly afraid of heights but I am used to the SOC cliff now. It does not bother me as much now to walk up to it and look over the edge :-D

I love the kickdown (turbo :) as well. I usually don't wave at the people. I am usually either giving them the bird and honking my MEEP MEEP horn because they are bullying us on the road or I am shaking my head at the ignorant fools that laugh as we go by. Ignorance truly is bliss I guess.

Glad you are enjoying the ED!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts