Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beyond purchase, what (if anything) is out of the ordinary in the cost of ongoing ownership? Aside from the relatively short warranty term, that is.

For example, can a typical owner change the oil periodically himself, or must it be done by a qualified mechanic...or, worse, at Mercedes-level labor rates at a dealership?

Thanks...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Doing my own except the 60K valve check. Oil and filter are very easy. It would be much easier if we could get a full service manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ful Service Manual?

"...if we could get a full service manual."

Thanks, Duckhunter.

Any possibility that manual will become available to us...?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The Smart's relatively new in the USA, and has a fairly new engine and transmission design. I'd opt for an extended warranty to dampen any fears.

Oil changes are reputed to be simple for anyone that's done one before - biggest challenge is finding the right filter and getting the old one off - the filter and/or drain plug are on pretty tight, I read.

Oil change interval is listed at 10k with Mobil 1 synthetic (weight depends on your geography). Some change earlier, some wait until 10k... heavy debate on that subject, so just choose your own path. Regardless, $200 or so for MB rates include oil change and 10k annual checkup - compare to 3k intervals with dino oil (30 bucks x 4 plus time spent) and if you don't change it yourself, the 10k interval evens things out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts