Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there's any possibility of snagging any followers on my journey, so I'll lay out my current plan, and see if anyone wants to grab hold.

Day One (Thursday, June 5th)
-I'll be leaving Ottawa in the morning (Leave at 8-ish?).

-401 to London, then switch to the 402 to cross at Sarnia. That would mean I'd be crossing the border (assuming all goes to plan) around 5:30 PM.

-Take I-69 until I-94, then head to Kalamazoo, MI to stop for the night around 9.

Day Two (Friday, June 6th)
- Leave Kalamazoo around 8 in the morning, take I-94 West.
- Keep following I-94 as it morphs into I-80, then I-274, then back to I-80. (Maybe dodging around the toll section, maybe not)
- Keep on truckin' along I-80 until just past Iowa City, where you have to turn off to head to Amana. ETA would be around 4-ish.

These numbers are all based on the time estimations from Google maps, plus half an hour per day for food, fuel, etc. Maybe more realistic would be a full hour for those a day, so add a half hour to any of my ETAs. Obviously I've got some wiggle room.

·
17,346 Posts
Drat...I won't be hitting I-80 until the Iowa border.

I'll be going along I-88.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, Google maps suggests it would be about a 10 minute detour for me to go North up to I-88, so it certainly wouldn't be impossible to join up with you.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I saw that convoy. It would add an extra 2 or so hours the first day, and an extra hour the second. It would make for a pretty miserable Thursday (I try to limit myself to 10 hour driving days), and a relatively not nice Friday either. By not making that detour, I get a not great, but tolerable Thursday, and a not too bad Friday.

I guess the question is if there's anyone from Michigan, or if any of the other Ontarions want to join me on my journey (Although they probably wouldn't want to meet me that late in the day, and stop the night. Makes more sense to just go all in one day).

EDIT: And then cut north to I-88 around Chicago and maybe catch up with you.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
I'm planning on leaving the Detroit/Ann Arbor area Friday morning. Probably hit Chicago area about noon, give or take.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Google maps would suggest that you are probably going to be leaving around 7:30/8:00-ish, eh? I'm staying at the Days Inn right by the Kalamazoo airport, just off I-94, which looks to be about 1.5 hours from Ann Arbor. Maybe you could swing off for a few minute, join up with me and we could continue on to Chicago area to pick up Neon for the final leg?

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
That could work. Perhaps I should leave a little earlier due to greater exposure to Chicago traffic?
I'd like to be in Amana in time to check in at the hotel before the dinner.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going by the ideal scenario from Google Maps, Ann Arbor to Amana, with detours off to my hotel, and up to I-88 would take 7.5 hours. Passing through Ann Arbor at 8 AM would mean arrival of 3:30, which gives us about 1.75 hours of leeway for people pickups, fuel/food stops and traffic delays (Assuming it takes half an hour to check in, get stuff unloaded and get to the restaurant).

I would say it would probably make sense to leave maybe a half hour earlier? It's up to you though.

·
17,346 Posts
That could work. Perhaps I should leave a little earlier due to greater exposure to Chicago traffic?
I'd like to be in Amana in time to check in at the hotel before the dinner.
We'll figure out some point to rendezvous with me. I don't mind taking a detour towards Chicago! :)

My best advice about Chicago traffic:

Any lanes going Inbound into Chicago will be packed in the morning and afternoon hours. Give yourself an extra hour or two to compensate.

Any lanes going Outbound out of Chicago will be packed in the evening hours. They won't be as bad as the morning/afternoon traffic, but will still add about an hour-ish to travel time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We'd probably be best off to entirely skirt around Chicago then. Google maps was suggesting taking 294 between 80 and 88, but 355 looks rural enough that it wouldn't be busy in the middle of the day, cuts between 80 and 88, and should only be a few minutes longer (Google suggests it would be 1 minute longer to go that way compared to 294. Probably not quite right, but very minimal anyway).

We could meet up with you somewhere around that 355/88 intersection, Lisle/Naperville area, around [whatever time we would be arriving]

·
17,346 Posts
355 and 294 are largely empty interstates during all times, they would be great!

·
17,346 Posts
Interestingly enough, I'll be leading the way. So there's going to be a smart up front, RV in the middle, and smarts trailing behind! :D

Uhm, there shouldn't be any issue with the caravan, though we all should set a meeting place/time. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts