Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the problem is solved, I can talk about it and, hopefully, keep others from doing the same, stupid, thing.

Last weekend, was washing and waxing the smart and decided to check all the fluids. Trying to save some time, I did NOT lift up the back of the top (convertible) or take out the engine cover. Figured I could hold it up and pull the dipstick.

Of course, as I was pulling up the dipstick, the engine cover slipped and fell and the dipstick snapped off (quality plastic that it is). There was about 10" in my hand and about 14" somewhere in the engine.

After the usual 5-10 minutes of language exercise, started the engine with fingers, toes and eyes crossed. It ran, no funny noises, no smell of grinding plastic, no problems. Got a brilliant idea.

Drove to Home Depot and bought some clear vinyl tubing in various sizes. Drove back and waited for the engine to cool off.

Starting with the largest, fed the tubing down into the dipstick hole until I felt some resistance at about the right level and exerted a little force and fed about another inch or so down, then slowly pulled it up. The 1/4" od .170" id was the winner. It brought up the rest of the dipstick.

Now - anyone have a dipstick for sale before I call the local dealer for his handmade, platinum plated special price?

-Barry-

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Remember when dip sticks were made of metal?

Thanks for the tip phillysmart. Hope I don't need to use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts