Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If it came here 5-10 years ago, it would have been a Saturn. :(

Oh well. It it comes here as an Opel, I'd look! Seems like it will indeed be a Buick, marketed like the compact Encore Crossover.

I see Buick being Saturn in another 5 years - they'll be GM's import brand for Holden, Vauxhall and Opel vehicles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Adam Opel...

You meant Adam Opel... Ja, my brother in Deutschland drives an Opel, but a Opel Omega. Opel Omega used to be the Cadillac Catera here.

They're good cars...German engineering...but owned by GM.

cheers...

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Main competition, are the Mini, and 500. It's been out about a year now. Opel and Vaxunhall models are out there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I see them over here in the Netherlands from time to time. They are really nice looking cars, but at least around where I live they don't seem very popular. Lots of Ford Kas and Citroen C1's in my area, the Adam is probably too expensive to be very popular here.

·
17,349 Posts
Outdated information. A few sources have already countered by saying that the Adam was not designed for the American market in mind.

Here's one source...

The Current Opel Adam Is Not Going To America

If GM does bring the car to the States, it won’t be until the next generation Adam arrives. When asked, GM Vice Chairman Steve Girsky said that the current Adam “cannot” be federalized, so if the car is sold in America it will be after the Adam is redesigned for its second generation, 2015 or 2016 at the earliest. Neumann concurred, saying, ”We have to work on the car. “That’s one of the issues that we have to look at.”
The Truth About Cars

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,219 Posts
In 1967, I had a new Opel Kadette Rally coupe. 1100 cc's of throbbing power. It was sold through Buick then and was not a reliable car at all. I kept it six months and traded it for a new '68 GTO. The later Opel was a real winner with the 1900 cc engine and even performed very well in SCCA showroom stock class.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts