Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been racking my brain and researching how to open my 2008 Smart Cabrio tailgate. Watched a bunch of Utube videos and surfed the net for several hours with no success. I tried the hole drilling method and that didn't work. Tried prying on the latch, no go there also. Then it dawned on me to try to open it electrically. I bought this car over the weekend and I am salvaging parts off it so the entire electrical system has been disconnected. The solution was finding the wire to the solenoid on the latch. It was a blue wire with a red stripe located under the rear carpet on the left side of the car. You may not want to do it the way I did. I just cut all the wires and put all of the brown ground wires together and started touching the others to a jump box until I found the right one. I twisted all the ground wires together and put them on the negative jump box clamp and then touched the blue wire with the red stripe to the positive clamp. SUCCESS!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Glad that you found the key to the :secret handshake". :D
Since yours is a soft-top: it must be different than mine.
Here's the path that I would take:
unlock the driver's door with the key
(hopefully this unlocks the liftgate...)
Manually raise the liftgate, and then manually lower the tailgate

At least that's the theory that I'd be applying. I hope that I never have to find out if it would actually work!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Never thought about that, trying to open the tailgate manually? Too bad they didn't put a manual system in the car as backup!

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Glad that you found the key to the :secret handshake". :D
Since yours is a soft-top: it must be different than mine.
Here's the path that I would take:
unlock the driver's door with the key
(hopefully this unlocks the liftgate...)
Manually raise the liftgate, and then manually lower the tailgate

At least that's the theory that I'd be applying. I hope that I never have to find out if it would actually work!
The tailgate is electric, would have no affect turning the key in the drivers, door handle.

Heres the solution...

·
Registered
374 Posts
A stray thought occurred to me...
Can you gain access to the latching mechanism through the tailgate storage comparmtent?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts