Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My charger suffered a mishap or was the victim of vandalism, I am not sure, however it happened, the coiled cable has been forcefully ripped out of the housing.

The unit is still working so I think it can be repaired if I can get into the unit but I don't see any obvious way to get into it. There are no visible screws at all. I don't want to damage the housing, anyone have any idea how to get into it?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sorry to hear that!

I think the main concern would be to get it waterproof again. The housing appears to be welded or glued, so you have to cut it open. It will be hard to seal it again.

Which means, after the repair it would be just like now: working fine, but no longer waterproof. I suggest to leave it, maybe find some way to strain-relief the cord against the brick, so it doesn't get pulled out further?

·
Registered
515 Posts
warranty

Im sure its covered have you talked to the dealer
i would get a new one.....

Dont want to worry about a fire in your garage as you sleep

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Supersmartie: when I say ripped I mean completely severed from the housing. And I am afraid you are right that it is glued or heat welded shut.

Jimtesla: no joy on that front, no reason for this to be covered by warranty. Tested the waters with my salesperson and they confirmed that as far as they are concerned I need to pay for areplacement. I tend to agree.

Just bought a very similar ( difference only seems to be the housing and coiled cable) from eBay for 225. Much better than $1500 which was the dealer quote.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Supersmartie: when I say ripped I mean completely severed from the housing.
Oh, I thought you said it was still working...

Just bought a very similar ( difference only seems to be the housing and coiled cable) from eBay for 225. Much better than $1500 which was the dealer quote.
Great!! Could you post a link?

What are you planning to do with the old one? You could donate it to science! I'd love to take one apart (it's what I do...)

·
17,379 Posts
Yeah, sadly the warranty doesn't cover vandalism. As long as your new charger is safe and waterproof, looks like you saved a ton of money!

And you didn't even have to switch to GEICO...

You could donate it to science! I'd love to take one apart (it's what I do...)

·
Registered
292 Posts
There is an INTERTEK-LEAR LEVEL 1 PORTABLE CHARGER EVSE 120V listed on ebay. I'm guessing that its almost identical to the Smart ED one.

Why? Because my ED came with a manual that says "Lear" on the front...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some inquiring minds might be interested in a picture of your damaged cable - you know how the SCoA family is about performing WWW.CSI . . .
True that. Will post some pics.

And I just got the charger from eBay and indeed seems to be the same as the smart car original with a different housing and a non coiled cable. I'll post pictures of that as well. Seems to be a steady stream of these Lear/intertek devices on eBay. Some have sold for as little as $140.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Here are the pics finally. Ouch.

And I received the charger from eBay and it works like a charm, so if anybody needs a level 1 charger it is an inexpensive @200us$ alternative to the Smart part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts