Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this opposed cylinder engine is cool. I wonder if it could fit into a Smart Fortwo? or the Forfour? (probably won't be used that way since Smart seems intent on going all electric but it is neat to think it could?).
Achates Power.

·
Registered
912 Posts
This thing has been floating around for years. The idea is not new, either. Fairbanks-Morse has built opposed-piston engines for years. The Commer TS3 aka the Commer Knocker was in production for commercial vehicles in the 1960s. None of the prior attempts have set the world on fire, and I see no reason why this one would be any different.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The smallest engine Achates makes is a 2.7l and it barely fits in an F-150. It is interesting tech though. I could see many manufacturers adopting similar tech along with variable compression that Mazda is releasing next year. If you couple all this to a camless engine like Koenigsig is developing, you may have a big winner in the efficiency race. ICE isn't dead yet.

·
Banned
214 Posts
I've posted this before, forgive me.

I thought the vid was going to be a two cylinder horizontally opposed engine with both cylinders firing at the same time, just like the Honda I owned in the late, late '60's to 1976.

I should have kept and gotten it fixed rather than trading it for a 1976 cab yellow Chevette.

My first indication on that subject was five days later when it rained overnight and the passenger side was filled with water.

The dealer told me someone had forgotten to weld a seam under the dash and front right quarter panel.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
?.... I should have kept and gotten it fixed rather than trading it for a 1976 cab yellow Chevette.

My first indication on that subject was five days later when it rained overnight and the passenger side was filled with water.

The dealer told me someone had forgotten to weld a seam under the dash and front right quarter panel.
I never owned a Chevette - on purpose. Closest I came was those my wife had to drive when working for our then State Govt. They had been around for a while when she was assigned to them and both eventually self-destructed. The Chevette was an old design before it even appeared in the U.S. and not a very good one at that! Saw my first diesel Chevette about a year ago. No question it was a diesel - from a loooong distance away. 🙉

1 - 7 of 7 Posts