Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on a battery upgrade? I am considering using an Optima D34M deep cycle/start battery in my 2009 Passion. It has four posts which make for a easier and or better connection to my Alpine PDX5 amp

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I love the Optima batteries. No requirement for venting - I've used them in all my motorhomes that had batteries in the living area so it only makes sense to use one in a smart when the time comes to require a new battery.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
The Optima 34R is a drop in replacement, but it doesn't have four posts.

At my 10K scheduled, I lost out on a free battery upgrade. The service dude said the Optima was about the best available and theirs would be a downgrade (I knew that!). He also inflated my ego a bit when he said I had a 'tricked out' smart. :cool:

I didn't wait for "the time to come" when I needed a new battery. I've got an upgraded sound system drawing extra current and have heard too many tales of dead batteries, so I just went ahead and did it. No regrets!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I've got an OEM battery going to waste. :(

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
BCI

The numbers that you see referenced (34, 78, et al) are configuration numbers assigned by the Battery Council International, a battery standardization group: Battery Council International - Home.

The BCI numbers describe voltage, number of cells, overall three-dimensional measurements (including the terminal posts), the location of terminals (top, side, end; left-side positive, right-side positive, centerline), and the type of terminals (clamp posts, threaded terminals, bolted lugs).

The specific numbers: http://www.crownbattery.com/PDF/CrownBattery_SLI Battery Specifications.pdf

·
Registered
110 Posts
see my thread....
Get rid of your battery with this replacement - NAPA 7547

and all your problems will be gone :smartje:

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
see my thread....
Get rid of your battery with this replacement - NAPA 7547

and all your problems will be gone :smartje:
I don't have any battery problems, and I don't see any reason to downgrade to the Napa 7547. Thanks anyway. :p

Seriously, although I'm sure it's a solution, it is far from the only solution.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Optima batts are top quality. Used to use them in my plane. A friend had a "Red Top" in his and it lasted 6 yrs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't have any battery problems, and I don't see any reason to downgrade to the Napa 7547. Thanks anyway. :p

Seriously, although I'm sure it's a solution, it is far from the only solution.
I'd seriously like to know exactly which battery you found would fit without any modifications.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been running Optima batteries in everything I own with the exception of my smart. My smart battery has been going downhill for the past six months and I hadn't, until yesterday, even pulled apart the passenger side foot well to access the battery to see what I had. The smart battery was dead as a doornail after five days of garage sleeping but our temps have been in the low teens. So now with the smart's battery officially dead, since I should remove it to charge it (properly) I'm removing it to replace as my experience is the Optima is a one time replacement.

Optima batteries are great, and I have a 6 volt version in my 1951 GMC that is now in its 9th year of INTERMITTENT service. My 2001 diesel GMC has two red top 34's and again, this is the ultimate no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

I found this thread this morning as I went looking for what is the proper Optima replacement for the smart. I'm very glad to find this thread with the answers I hoped for.:woohoo:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all here and many thanks for this post.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here is another option, AGM batteries. I use these in my 5th wheel trailer. I have installed one in my Smart. No more having to tear up the passenger foot well and remove the battery to check the fluid level. They are COMPLETELY sealed. they can be mounted any way ever upside down.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I knocked this down today and the 34R Optima battery is a nice replacement. While the factory battery holder is designed for the factory battery, I added a couple of Azek shims under the cross bar, and drilled two small holes in the azek to hold the positive terminal safety cover that is part of the factory battery.

Given the way in which these terminals are setup and the amount of exposed connections I think putting this cover back over the positive side connections is a good idea.

I just used a piece of 1/2" azek plastic I had, but plywood would also work fine since these Optima batteries are sealed gel batteries and there is no chance of acid fumes or leaks. Here's the shim with the offset cover

This cover sandwiches under the factory retainer bar nicely and provides a level of safety over the positive terminal.

The only drawback to the Optima was that after I finished installing it and got everything all hooked up and the passenger side foot well back together, when I hit the starter the smart car flipped over four times in the parking spot before the engine started to turn because there was so much more power going to the starter. I'm kidding. But the Optima does have WAY more power and the starter cranks like mad now.

I am a long time Optima believer and I was thrilled to see that there is so much room in the battery well for quite a few options. This is a good one and I couldn't be any happier.

I felt a little stupid when I pulled the foot well headboard out and found a flat repair kit with a compressor, flat fix, and hose all nicely packed in a kit which I NEVER knew my smart had! Gee, when you start poking around a little it's amazing the things you find. The towing eye bolt, the compressor and flat fix, and I found that ham sandwich I lost off the passenger's seat in a hard stop three years ago.:rofl:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Terrific battery, historically all my cars get one as soon as the OEM battery craps out or even hiccups once. My 56 Fairlane, which is only started a couple times a month, has had one for about 4 years, the battery is totally reliable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed one: Optima Red Top SC34U ($139 in Sam's Club and $5 for longer negative wire). Works great. And I put plastic under the holder too.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
I just installed one: Optima Red Top SC34U ($139 in Sam's Club and $5 for longer negative wire). Works great. And I put plastic under the holder too.
You didn't need the longer neg cable. There is another stud provided to be able to move the OEM cable to the other end of the battery.

Donald LaFavor

1 - 20 of 65 Posts