Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2009 ForTwo Passion that we bought used with 30,000 miles on it for $8000. Now, 3 months and 1000 miles later, we have what seems to be little better than an anchor. Yesterday, 15 minutes from home the car started shaking, smelling of smoke and then finally cut out a minute later (fortunately after getting to the side of the road). We had it towed to a nearby Smart dealer and were told this morning that the cooling system control unit had malfunctioned, causing the cooling fans to remain off. This caused a massive system overheat. A ton of stuff melted; fans, air intake, wires. And to top it off the engine head is completely warped.

According to Smart, it would cost $13,200 to repair! You could get a brand new one for that much, so clearly that's not happening. I realize that I might do it for less by pulling a used engine and having the work done elsewhere, but it's unlikely it wouldn't still cost nearly as much as we paid for the car.

So, now I'm just in the mode of trying to figure out how I can recoup as much as possible from it. Smart was "kind" enough to offer me a whole $200 to take it off my hands (assuming I bought another one - not likely). I may be wrong, but I have to imagine I could get more than $200 just for all the still functional parts... but I have no idea how to go about that. I was hoping someone here might have a good lead on a place that might be willing to give me something for it. BTW, I'm in the Raleigh, NC area if that matters.

I'm also seeing what my insurance company can do for me... but it's a Hail Mary.

·
Super Moderator
28,250 Posts
Not a lot of options

1. Part it out.
2. Install used or rebuilt engine, replace other parts with used or rebuilt.
3. Junk it.

:)

And :welcome: to SCoA!

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
See what a salvage yard, will give you for the car. That's your best bet.

Our state has a program to donate junk cars, for kids, who have medical problems. You can write the donation, off next years taxes.

So sorry.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Photos of the damage would be of benefit to see. I would never take M-B at their word.

I have a hard time believing that an overheated engine melted wires and the intake.

Try to find an independent to work on the car, find a used engine and have a swap done.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you do decide to part it out, dibs on the clutch actuato and/or the exhaust. PM me if interested. I'll of course pay any shipping ect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts