Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered drilled and slotted front rotors and ceramic pads today!! So tired of the front rotors looking rusty everytime I wash the car and all the brake dust!!!:woohoo:

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
good deal. Let us know how it turns out. everyone on here seems to like the ceramic pads. I have drilled rotors on mine and they are noisy. Be interested if yours are too?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Noisy?? You mean squeal?? I can deal with a little squeal, just the rust and dust is a bummer. >:D

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
When you order ceramic brakes from someone like Porsche you get ceramic disks for your thousands of dollars. with that are typically carbon pads That make a keester load of dust. Simply have your man look after that.

What you are installing on your car are pads that are harder than your rotors making them even more of a throw away. Your steel rotors will still get surface rust on then. The new pads will have less of a tendency to stick to the rotors due to corrosion. Most of the noise brakes normally make are due to vibration/chatter and are typically reduced by bonding the pads to the caliper pistons to keep them "still".

Hope you get what you where looking for.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you order ceramic brakes from someone like Porsche you get ceramic disks for your thousands of dollars. with that are typically carbon pads That make a keester load of dust. Simply have your man look after that.

What you are installing on your car are pads that are harder than your rotors making them even more of a throw away. Your steel rotors will still get surface rust on then. The new pads will have less of a tendency to stick to the rotors due to corrosion. Most of the noise brakes normally make are due to vibration/chatter and are typically reduced by bonding the pads to the caliper pistons to keep them "still".

Hope you get what you where looking for.
What man are you talking about??

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I needed new pads a while back. Since I was also almost due for rotors I combined the job. I got slotted, but not drilled, and the O'Reilly ceramic pads.

I had the RedStuff pads previously. And it soon became apparent to me that the O'Reilly pads produce even less dust than the Redstuff pads did.

I haven't noticed any increase in noise with the slotted rotors. My tires make more noise than they do.
------------------
An aside, I'm getting increasingly unhappy about the appearance of my drum brakes. The car is going on 6 years and they are looking really bad. Need some paint, I reckon.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
No the drilled rotors I have make a buzzing noise, all the time slightly, but pretty loud when the brakes are applied. The apparently do run cooler as the brake temp checker coming down Pikes Peak gave me a "very good" while pulling over anyone whose brakes were overheated,

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
The apparently do run cooler as the brake temp checker coming down Pikes Peak gave me a "very good" while pulling over anyone whose brakes were overheated,
No offense intended. But, anyone who knows how to drive in mountains would get the pass. I was there. Not the first time.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I ordered drilled and slotted front rotors and ceramic pads today!! So tired of the front rotors looking rusty everytime I wash the car and all the brake dust!!!:woohoo:
You're going to be sadly disappointed then. All standard rotors are cast iron. What happens to cast iron when exposed to moisture? They rust...

Fact of life, and no aftermarket rotor for a smart will change that.:)

I'm not sure you are going to see much change in the dust because of the drilled rotors. Yes they will be noisy, and the holes and slots will eat pads much faster than the stock rotors. Ceramic pads do produce a lot less dust than the OE pads, but combine that with the drilled and slotted rotors, and I doubt you will see much change. But, let us know. You may prove me wrong...:)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
What man are you talking about??
You can afford that kind of stuff you can afford to hire a "man" to take care of those things you can no longer be bothered with. Not to be confused with s$%t got busted by the man, that the government hires.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Of course we all have a butler, maid, no chauffer(too much fun to drive). Why my wife even has a pool boy. She keeps saying we will get a pool soon........

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the EBC slotted and dimpled rotors and Green Stuff pads on the twosmarts.
Wanted less dust than the OEM pads and got a little improvement, but not much. However I don't think the dust is as corrosive as the OEM and cleans off easier.
The slotted and dimpled rotors are really good, but cross-drilled are not a good idea, they tend to crack at the holes. And you will find that they make a bit of noise until they are burnished properly (worn in). Mine made noise for about 300 miles until they quieted down.
There is a 12-step procedure for properly burnishing the pads that has worked very well for me. I can just about stand the Brabus on it's nose if I have to.

·
Registered
293 Posts
And if you live in a state which puts deicer on the road (like Montana) and you don't drive your vehicle ever day they not only rust but they corrode and large flakes/chunks come off. I have to replace the rotors on my f250 every 3 years!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts