·
Registered
152 Posts
Cash ?????

I'm confused.
Did you confirm a Silver/Silver/Red Cab
or
A Black/Silver/? Coupe - Cab
Which is it? You've asked all of us your opinions.
WHAT IS IT? (Sorry about shouting)

PS: If you're going to replace the 9 spoke wheels, please contact me. I'd love to have an extra set for winter tires.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congrats, Mr Cash. :) That a fine looking car you selected. Glad to see you settled on a cab - I'm sure we'll enjoy them.

re: the nine spokes. I wasn't sure if you liked them or not. I love them, reminds me of the minilites from the '60s.

The photo from a2jack of the se is from the parking lot that I reguarly scope out. Matter of fact, I think I'll drive by there today.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Cooling, Transmission

"Is The Smart Car Engine Air Cooled?
Will The Trans Be Coventional P,r,n,d Set Up"

It's water-cooled.

Re: transmission, see posting in General Discussions - “U.S. Transmission “Park”) posted at 10:53 on 23 OCT.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Is The Smart Car Engine Air Cooled?

Will The Trans Be Coventional P,r,n,d Set Up
No, Probably No.

The engine is a 1 liter Mitsubishi 3 cylinder water cooled. The radiator is up front the engine is in the rear.

The transmission on the Euro spec cars is :

Up
l
l<------>Park
l l
Down Reverse

They mentioned something about changing the shift patern to be a little more Americanized, but I think they were talking about how it shifts and not the gear selector itself. The transmission itself is an Automated Standard shift transmission with a flat disk clutch. The transmission on the Passion will automatically select and shift the gears, but can also be driven like a manual. The clutch is automated with no clutch pedal at all.

Read more of the forum pages and there is plenty of information here.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
There are pictures of the shifter pattern for U.S. cars in another thread. Park, Reverse, Neutral, +/-Drive.
Not so. Per the rep at the smart house in Venice the as shown on the Euro version smarts used on the road tours. The Park one is from a UK electric version. Remember this is a manual tranny. Not many manuals have a "P" position. You leave it in gear while parked.

Taken at smart house, Venice, CA 10/27/2007 smart passion

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
shift strategy for best smart mpg?

does the pure have the same transmission process, as the passion, just without the steering wheel paddles?

ie, the pure (and passion?) can use the stick shifter on the floor, to shift up or down a gear, in manual mode?

or a button can be pushed near the floor shifter, and it will go into auto mode?

:thanx:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Not so...
Indeed so.

Your picture is of a Euro-spec shifter (the smarts at the smart house in Venice Beach are Euro-spec models). Here is a picture of the US-spec shifter that will come on all customer cars imported to North America. This is from one of the first US-spec cars to reach the US, at smart's headquarters in Bloomfield Hills, MI:

The inner workings of the gearbox have not changed, but the shifter has been modified to suit American tastes.

·
Registered
564 Posts
does the pure have the same transmission process, as the passion, just without the steering wheel paddles?

ie, the pure (and passion?) can use the stick shifter on the floor, to shift up or down a gear, in manual mode?

or a button can be pushed near the floor shifter, and it will go into auto mode?

thank you
Hi Mr Cash,

I'm surprised you aren't taking the evening off after all the energy expended on finalizing your selection yesterday! :D

The short answer to your question above is yes. In Europe there are two versions of the transmission:
  1. Softip, which changes gear up or down like a manual when you push or pull the shifter.
  2. Softouch, which is Softip with the added feature of pushing a button on the shifter to engage fully automatic mode (i.e. the transmission decides when to shift for you). In Europe, manual mode is the default, and you must push the button to engage fully automatic mode.
In the US, all smarts (Pure and Passion) will come with Softouch only. However, because of the different US-spec shifter, fully automatic mode will be the default mode for the gearbox. You will instead move the shifter to the left to engage manual mode (and then push or pull to change gear).

In manual mode there is no difference between the Pure and Passion, except that the Passion has the supplemental steering wheel paddle shifters (but you can still change gear using the floor shifter if you prefer).

·
Registered
671 Posts
For the ones that have driven the smart in manual, does the shift occur as fast as you can with an American standard (with foot clutch), or is it faster? Just trying to get a little comparison since I didn't test drive mine in manual.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Logically, since the entire gearchange process is controlled by the same computer whether you're in manual or automatic mode, the shifts should essentially be the same (for given speed / load conditions).

My impression when test driving was that the manual mode shifts were a little quicker than the automatic mode shifts. On reflection, I think this might be a perception issue, based on the fact that the shift occurs when you trigger it in manual mode.

Either way, take a look at this video. It is a recording of a 451 CDI going up through the gears. To me, the shifts seem pretty slick compared to a regular manual stick / foot clutch gear change:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJICDGT8G5A

1 - 20 of 21 Posts