Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my Orphan in Feb, but have kept my reservation (#1347) and configured last month. I'm looking forward to my Dec 08 - Feb 09 delivery date and can't wait to meet my yellow/black cabriolet - build just the way I want it. I would like to keep the orphan, too ~~ but will probably sell it.

My question is how may of you who have purchased orphan smarts plan to take delevery of your original reservation car? Do you plan to keep the orphan, or sell/trade it?

·
Registered
834 Posts
This doesn't apply to me as I have my car, but this is what I would do if I had an orphan. I would try for an exact duplicate, if I could not get that I would try for another color with the tridion color I wanted with exact accessories, Next would start dropping colors tridion colors and accessories. Then what I got would be considered temporary

If the orphan had all the factory accessories I wanted, but was the wrong color, I would buy a set of panels, Keep the reservation and see what I felt like when the new car came in.

If the orphan was not what I really wanted and I bought it just to have a smart. I would keep my reservation and cross that bridge when the time came.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I kept my reservation, was somewhat late in the game so I'm not expecting delivery til probably next year.

Anyway, my original plan was to sell my orphan and configure the new one how I want it. If anything it's helped me realized I may want a cabrio as well as other options/colors etc.

HOWEVER now I'm growing really attached to my orphan and I'm not so sure I'd be willing to give it up to a stranger...:cool: But yes, I'm keeping my reservation nevertheless

·
Registered
37 Posts
I cancelled my reservation when I purchased an orphan. I figure if my place in line was removed then it may bring someone else that much closer to their car.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I bought a orphan in April. My DDE was aug-sept and I wanted a car for this summer. Yeesterday I gat notice my car is on the boat. Like others my orphan is very close to what I ordered...and I very much like it. But now I am having a hard time NOT getting the car I ordered. I hope my daughter or son will buy it and we can keep it in the family.

·
Registered
431 Posts
im on the list for an orphan and the dealer let me know that if they do get me an orphan to please keep my reservation so when it comes it can be sold to someone else but i think i am just going to keep the reservation one too

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im on the list for an orphan and the dealer let me know that if they do get me an orphan to please keep my reservation so when it comes it can be sold to someone else but i think i am just going to keep the reservation one too

oh! Of course the dealer wants you to keep your reservation. Then if you decide NOT to take delivery, the dealer can add on a bunch of options that jack up the proce and sell it as an orphan. Makes sense.

Actually, I'd love to keep both, one for winter and one for summer. But.... I'm just one person and it would seem excessive. On the other hand, I think 4 would fit nicely in the garage. :D

btw, Smart09 - Good luck on your orphan hunt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I adopted my orphan in Feb, and I kept my reservation. My number is 1241, but I have not confirmed yet. My orphan will probably be a year old when my new car comes.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I adopted my orphan in Feb, and I kept my reservation. My number is 1241, but I have not confirmed yet. My orphan will probably be a year old when my new car comes.
1241 and not configured??? I'm 1267 and mine is on the boat!! I don't get the number system!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I may keep my orphan for my wife and reservation for me. I have a few months to scrape the money together. :smartje.zw.zw: :smartje.wt.zw:

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I'm 1340 (Sep 6, 2007) and picked up my orphan late April. I'm keeping the reservation as I was going to sell the orphan to my kid but I doubt she can afford it. I've got buyers lined up but my dad said he really likes it so I'll sell it to him - discounted of course :).

My DDE says 8/12 - 11/10/2008. Bumble-B with bug guts red interior Passion. Options include Fog Lights, Radio 10, Gauge Pods & Alarm.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm picking up my orphan in Round Rock, Texas, on Saturday. While it is missing a few things that I wanted, I'm canceling my original reservation. I'm just happy to be actually getting my smart!

Nancy R.
Plano, TX

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Reserved my smart 4/5/08, adopted my Orphan 4/23/08. I kept the reservation alive because I wanted to see the configuration e-mail. At this point, I don't care if I see the config., so today I sent Internet Brands my refund request; I figure I should have my $99 by Christmas!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Love my orphan

Once I picked up my orphan I immediately cancelled my order and smart refunded my $99. All I had to do was write a letter and request my refund. The refund check was at my house within 10 days. I am so happy I went the orphan route even though I had to pay extra for the paint protection and lojack.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We got our orphan and kept our reservation. I couldn't bring myself to give up our reserved car so we we picked it up a couple of weeks later. We hadn't planned on having two smarts but we are loving every minute of both of them!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Kept my reservation. My orphan doesn't have the convenience pkg/leather seats. My reservo/config'd was done with conv pkg/leather seats. On the pro side for the orphan the cloth seats won't get as hot as leather. But leather would last longer and would be easier to clean. Plus I kind of wanted the rain sensors and other goodies that come with the conv pkg. But I have between now and sometime between Dec 08 to Feb 09 to make up my mind. His brother is thinking about getting a smart and doesn't want to wait 2 years. {That's the apx wait time here at the dallas smart center based on my reso & DDE.} So he may buy my orphan if I get my conf'd one or he may buy the one I conf'd if I keep the orphan. Either way will most likely be keeping both in the family.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Roger got his orphan in Jan 08. Res# is 1273 (June 27, 2007) but as Angel points out, in Dallas the wait is two years! The DDE is Apr-Jun 2009. Yes we will keep our reservation. I will be configuring it as a cabrio. I am trying to wait for our reservation but am so tempted to get an orphan cabrio sooner.

May 10th I had $99 burning a hole in my pocket so I reserved another one! Res# is 1591. So I will my cabrio in 2009 (hopefully the mhd) and when the 3rd car shows up I will sell the orphan which will probably be about 2 1/2 years old.

·
Registered
117 Posts
:smartlogo:
I bought an Orphan, am on the list for a 2nd Orphan and will keep the reservation for our daughter for college. Cabrio is the only way to go!

:smartje.bl.zw:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts