Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello :) I am new to the whole Smart world. Sorry if this question has been asked and answered over and over and over ;)

How often does a person get the chance to bring home an "Orphan"? Is it a common thing to have one sitting on the lot waiting for someone to buy it?

My husband and I are going to our nearest Smart dealer on Friday to check them out. I am REALLY excited to drive one!!!! However, I HATE waiting for...well anything ;) Hoping there's just one waiting for a home.

Thanks for any feedback :D

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Well, there are three models available, yes three:
pure
passion
patience :)

The last one usually is "custom made to order" through the regular process. The other two can be available at random if you're lucky to find an "orphan" (fallout in smart's lingo). The less finicky you're about color, options (sometimes expensive add-ons) and model, the better your chances... Getting to know your dealer well ;) helps too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yes, yes... patience is a virtue;)

It's gonna be cool to actually see one up close :)
They are even cooler to drive... :D

BTW - Some dealers have orphans ready to buy, the dealer here in SE VA has a waiting list for the orphans 300 deep... I understand the wait is well over a year for those that newly pay the $99, maybe even longer as the DDE isn't even giving them a date yet.

Have fun! The test drive will make you fall in love!:p

·
Registered
401 Posts
Go to the smartcenter in Sugarland. Put down a $500 deposit and get on their orphan list. Depending on how picky you are, you could have a car in four weeks or less. Others have done it. Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Got my Orphan in Chicago. Went in April 3rd, got a call on the 7th and picked it up on the 10th. True about the more expensive models being orphaned more often. But then again 18K for a fully loaded Cabrio is a steal! Good luck and be persistent. I called my salesman daily to remind him to get me a car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Be Persistent

I made sure the Smart dealership here in Michigan knew I was really interested in an 'orphan'. I emailed a couple of times and let them know I was pretty flexible. I brought home my 'orphan' last night, just a couple of weeks after being on the list. Just be persistent.;)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I went on an orphan list and a week later I was called.

I had to turn it down becasue I was told the wait was around a month, so I planned for that and I wasn't ready to accept it yet cause I'm out of state at college. When I get back they will start calling again. 1 tip, be funny and flexible and the orphan-ator will love you.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I went to my dealer on 4/18 expecting to order one and also get on the orphan list. I drove home with one that night. :D

Just got lucky I guess. :smartje:

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
I reserved 4/5/08, contacted my dealer 4/8/08 and requested placement on the Orphan List. Got a call 4/22/08 they had a car, my color choice, comfort package but with clear bra, lo-jack, and paint guard. The add ons inflated the price $2000, but I would have added all but the paint guard. Bottom Line - 18 days to get an abandoned order rather than 18 months for my smart I have yet to configure.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Stopped by my dealer yesterday and got a call today! Just got home with my blue/black passion orphan! Will post pics soon.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I got my orphan from a dealer in sarasota without waiting ,never even had my name on a list ,called and asked if he had any cars with what I was looking for , he said yes ,I drove down and picked it up ( silver/silver,+ comfort package) have friends who ordered one after seeing mine ,the dealer closest to them told them right now the wait could be as long as 18 months, trying to talk them onto an orphan list,only thing is they want a car with power steering and cloth seats ,the dealer told them not a very popular combination

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went to the local dealer yesterday to look at accessories and they have some orphans.
A Pure (the first one that I have seen). They also have a few Passion coupes, cabrios.
Trying to drag the wife unit out to see them today. They're out there, if you look.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have a orphan. I 'ordered' a car last June but my dealer got a orphan VERY close to what I ordered so I bought. Wait for me was a month....but that was for a Pure.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Went to Lincolnwood Smart last Thursday to get on their orphan list. Paid $100.00 to get on it and I was told there are only 5-6 people in front of me for a coupe.Is anyone else on the list at this dealership?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello, In Chicago as well. Was there yesterday,and also placed the $100 down to move up. Hope it helps, can't wait to get a cabrio'. Did they really tell you that you were only 6 behind from top of list? Might not be that long if there happens to be some orphans.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't want a cabro, so I guess the wait might not be to long. I am being pretty flexible about color but I won't take leather seats. I'm calling tomorrow to see if anything is available, and I'll call every Monday until I get one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts