Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Great idea. I was a fixin' to post to the Registration thread (which doesn't make much sense). Kinda late now. Tomorrow is iffy. Don't know what Isaac holds in store in the days ahead. I'll have something to post, eventually.

Thanks for the hard work, for you and everyone involved. See y'alll at breakfast.

Great pictures of the Whitewater rafting. Great!

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
The Lost Sea Adventure

The Lost Sea Adventure

Click to make legible.

The entry, or "yellow tunnel"

The dock

Boarding

Comfy?

Waiting for group

The lucky bear paw

I was amused to learn that with 98% relative humidity, a person can drink twice as much alcohol before becoming intoxicated. :rolleyes:

But, the Lost Sea was totally worthwhile. Hope everyone enjoyed it. I brought some rocks home from the gift shop, heh.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I received a really bad pic of my smart in the mail this afternoon.
It was just the rear end with a close up of my license plate.

From some rinky-dink Tenn town that want's me to pay them $50 just because I was traveling thru their town (at slightly above the posted limit).

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
I received a really bad pic of my smart in the mail this afternoon.
It was just the rear end with a close up of my license plate.

From some rinky-dink Tenn town that want's me to pay them $50 just because I was traveling thru their town (at slightly above the posted limit).
That stinks! What rinky-dink town was it?

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,726 Posts
City of Madisonville.

Mailing address is Memphis? (Didn't think I got that close to Memphis?)
WOW, the city of Madisonville, TN charges more than Killboy for an inferior OTD pix? But then again, Killboy doesn't include your actual speed . . .

I did notice the above Robo Cop (unmanned without patrol car) on our return to Fontana - Saturday at 3:30 you must have been on your return trip from The Lost Sea?

According to the internet, the Madisonville speed cameras are set for as little as 2 MPH over. You send your money to Memphis because the speed cameras are privately owned and they make the lions share of the money. A small amount of your fine will go to the Madisonville good old boys. :smokie:

The good news, such citations are considered "civil" so they should not add points to your license or affect insurance rates.

www.wate.com/story/17325122/madisonville-police-use-mobile-camera-to-catch-speeders

http://tailofthedragon.com/maps/PDF/RADAR_MAP.pdf

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
If I was local, I would fight it.
A four lane divided hwy with a posted speed of only 45?
I don't think so. The only possible reason for posting a speed that low is to generate revenue.

·
Super Moderator
28,842 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,726 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,842 Posts
But probably don't want to buy it? The use of a radar detector in a passenger vehicle is legal in all states with the exception of (Skyline Drive) Virginia, Washington DC and on military bases . . .

And Wallace was our point person setting the pace :burnout: on the caravan to The Lost Sea . . .
If only he'd been busted in Virginia....:p

UPDATE: the Whistler unit in the Amazon link is not a radar detector; it uses GPS to compare your position to a database of speed & red light cameras...

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I have been tagged several times in Virginia?
And MANY more in DC.

Usually able to weasle my way out due to LEO credentials?

Only had to go to court 3 times, only had to actually pay once in the last 10 years?

·
Super Moderator
28,842 Posts
Thanks to MB DNA for reminding us out-of-towners to hide our detectors upon arrival at the VA state line. :)

·
Premium Member
7,726 Posts
:burnout: I wish my smart was capable of doing burnouts!?!?!?
Seriously? Your's must be the only one with that problem?? :rolleyes:

Of all the smart whining posted to this Forum and the internet you are the first to suggest that a smart cannot do burnouts? May want to take it into the dealer and ask for that horsepower update (Version 3.4) or just wait for the forthcoming recall? :D

I do burnouts all the time - if only in my mind. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,726 Posts
UPDATE: the Whistler unit in the Amazon link is not a radar detector; it uses GPS to compare your position to a database of speed & red light cameras...
JW is right again thus this device is likely legal everywhere!

BUT, I think Whistler may be generous to call it a "detector" as it is really an alert device

Appears that it is GPS driven with an on-board database to warn of known red light/speed camera locations. This may be good (?) for permanent installations at dangerous red-light intersections but probably not so good for the portable speed camera that busted Wallace in small town USA?

Comes with one year of free data base updates which then cost $20 per year thereafter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts