Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s the official stop schedule for the Florida/Georgia caravan to Outsmarting the Dragon 2011!!!

We’ll be leaving from the same point as last year. The plan is to stop about every hour.

Lunch will again be at the Pilot Travel Center in Warner Robbins, GA.

All times listed are departing times. Please plan on arriving at least 15 minutes before the times listed.

For those coming from the south, there is a Microtel Suites at the exit just before the Rest Area that is $68 a night right now if you don’t want to leave Tampa or Orlando at 4am this year.

For any questions please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Stop 1 – 6AM - Rest Area on NB Interstate 75 mm 348 (Just south of Ocala)

Stop 2 – 7:15AM - Rest Area on NB Interstate 75 mm 413 (North of Gainesville)

Stop 3 – 8:30 AM - Travel America Truck Stop at Exit 2 on Interstate 75(Just south of Valdosta)

Stop 4 – 10AM - BP Gas station at exit 82 on interstate 75 (Ashburn, GA)

Stop 5 – 12 NOON - Pilot Travel Center at exit 146 on interstate 75 (Warner Robbins, GA) LUNCH

Stop 6 – 1:15PM - Chevron Gas station at exit 205 on interstate 75 (Griffin/Jackson, GA)

Stop 7 – 2:30PM - Wal-Mart at 2795 Chastain Meadows Pkwy, Marietta. (This is just off exit 1 of I575 on the north side of Atlanta, GA)

Stop 8 – 3:45PM - Marathon Gas station on US76 and McKinney Road(Clayton, GA)

Stop 9 – 5:30/6PM - FONTANA VILLAGE!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump. Time to start finalizing planning for the Florida-to-Dragon caravan. Anyone coming from Florida or Georgia (along the 75 corridor) - chime in here - let us know you are interested!

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Atlanta Georgia

Hello all,

My Smart may not arrive in time for the trip. Would you mind a bright Red Chevy SSR bringing up the rear ? I would join the caravan at the Marietta Georgia stop.
(I can post signs in the window of the SSR stating"Future Smart Car Trade-in ") :D
This sounds like a really great get-together, and I would hate to miss it because my Smart did not arrive in time. I would like to meet some of you and learn more about Smarts.

Curt

·
OTD2 lifetime Member
291 Posts
Hello all,

My Smart may not arrive in time for the trip. Would you mind a bright Red Chevy SSR bringing up the rear ? I would join the caravan at the Marietta Georgia stop.
(I can post signs in the window of the SSR stating"Future Smart Car Trade-in ") :D
This sounds like a really great get-together, and I would hate to miss it because my Smart did not arrive in time. I would like to meet some of you and learn more about Smarts.

Curt
Curt, That's just fine.. you'll be the second non-smart in the caravan. We won't treat you much more different than the smarties... just watch out for the saran wrap. :p

Though hopefully you'll get your baby just in time for the trip. No better way to break in your new car than on the Dragon. My husband Sieldan and I will be joining the caravan in Marietta as well, we have a rally red cabrio. Look forward to meeting you and talking all about our cars.

·
5,298 Posts
Hello all,

Curt
Bring it on! Call and tell Pat and Sandy you need your smart!

I was at the Atl smart center a few weekends ago. They even had last year's Dragon poster still up!
See you in the mountains.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
OutSMARTing the Dragon

Hello All !

Well, I registered and confirmed reservations at the resort today.

I have my fingers crossed that my Smart (a 2009 Black Brabus Cabrio) will arrive prior to the event. If not, I will be driving my Smart Car trade-in (2005 Red Chevy SSR, a very similar vehicle to a Smart Cabrio, only approx 320 more HP than the Brabus =) It can pass everything but a Gas Pump !

I will join your group Thursday at the Marietta location.

I am looking forward getting to meet all of you !!

Curt

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts

I've spotted a few of those over the years (if this is an accurate photo) ... very few actually. It's a head turner.
Apparently a head snapper too, when you give it the gas it's thirsting for.
See you in about a week. :burnout:

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
SSR

Yes, That looks like my Beast ! It feels a little Top Heavy to drive,(4,700 pounds), it has those huge fenders sticking out from the cab that you cannot see. The Cab actually is pretty small compared to the size of the vehicle. There is not ANY extra interior room, I can't even put my GPS out of site in the cab. The Smart Coupe that I rented felt much roomier. The Smart rental felt like an underpowered Ferrari, It was way more fun to drive with the paddle shifters in Atlanta's narrow surface streets.. (Now if I could just retain the 0-60 performance in the Smart....) :D See you next week !!

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
My Smart is on it's way this morning !!!!!

I got a call from the salesman at the dealer today.
He said that My Smart was loaded up and on it's way from Texas to Atlanta. It is scheduled to arrive Saturday ! :yelclap:

He said that they must get it emission tested and prepared for delivery.

Looks like OutSMARTING the Dragon will be my shake-down run for my new wheels. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Tail of the Dragon....Here I come !

I was surprised to have a call from the saleman at Carmax this afternoon 9/10/11. He said that my Smart was ready ! (I was expecting Monday or Tuesday). I left the dealer at 8pm with my adopted orphan, 2009 Black Brabus Cabrio ! 8,200 miles, all Black, inside and out.
:spots::spots::spots::spots::spots::spots:

That will give me a few days to get ready for the trip to the Tail of The Dragon ! Has anybody seen my DRAMAMINE ? :burnout: :eek:

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
First, congratulations to ATL on the delivery of his '09 Cabrio! :multi::toot

Soooo, I've got a question. What channel are y'all planning to use on your FRS radios?

I'll be heading out approximately 12 hours from NOW. :D

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
FRS Radio

First, congratulations to ATL on the delivery of his '09 Cabrio! :multi::toot

Soooo, I've got a question. What channel are y'all planning to use on your FRS radios?

I'll be heading out approximately 12 hours from NOW. :D

Thanks for the Congrats ! :D

I am new to this.
I googled FRS radio, so I know what it is, but what should I look for to buy one tomorrow ? Are there features, channels or brands that are better ? Are most of you going to have them/use them on the trip ?

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
I use mine primarily for listening to what the leaders of the convoy have planned, a heads up so to speak. But, it's a good thing to have in case you do have a need to communicate on the move.

You don't need to get the top of the line model. Range seems to be the biggest determinant in the pricing. We won't be spread out over more than the range of the cheaper ones. So, unless you also have other uses for the radios, go low on the price. I didn't. But, I could have.

Oh, and it's not required equipment, LOL. Probably less than half the cars have FRS radios.
-------------
What channel guys?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts