Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
OTD2 lifetime Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We now have the registration open for next year's outSMARTing the Dragon. OTD IV will be held August 23-26, 2012 at Fontana Village, NC and will have some old events, some new, and the return of a few favorites.

Registration this year is $30 for driver, $15 for a passenger and includes the spaghetti dinner Thursday night and the group farewell dinner Saturday night.

This year we will have bagged lunches available for $7 both Friday and Saturday mornings.

Here is a run down of what we are planning for your enjoyment. :)

• Vendors will be available Thursday thru Saturday. Hours will vary as we want them to be able to have some fun too!!!
  • Car Wash hours are 6am to 10pm
THURSDAY – August 23, 2012

• 4pm – 8pm – Participant Check-in (Pavilion)
  • 6pm – Welcome dinner
  • 7pm – RC Smart Races (Pavilion)
  • 8pm – Smart Social – Bring your favorite beverage and meet new smart owners from all over the country as well as Canada. Relax, catch up with friends, share stories and have a great time. (Pavilion)
FRIDAY – August 24, 2012

• 7am – noon – Participant Check-in (Pavilion)
  • 9am – 5pm Day runs – This year we will have numerous day trips for you to choose from. These trips will visit different attractions around the area. Maps and directions will be provided and bag lunches will be available for purchase or restaurant options along the route will be provided. You can run make these runs by yourself or with your friends. It’s all about having a great time!!!
  • 5pm – 7pm – Dinner on your own
  • 7pm – 8pm – Participant Check-in (Pavilion)
  • 7pm – RC Smart Races (Pavilion)
  • 8pm – Dragon in the Dark!! – Another new event this year. This drive will take us up to Deals Gap and down to the bottom of the Dragon. We’ll turn around at the Tabcat Creek bridge and return to Fontana. Riding the Dragon at night is a blast!!!!
  • 8pm – Smart Social
  • 9pm/conclusion of Dragon in the Dark DRAGON DROOL contest
SATURDAY – August 25, 2012

• 7am – 9am – Participant Check-in (Pavilion)
  • 9am – Group Picture
  • Immediately following group picture – Group run over the Tail of the Dragon
  • 11ish – 6pm – Day runs
  • 7pm – 9pm – Group dinner at Deals Gap Resort.
  • 10pm – Hanging at the Pavilion… Relax, catch up with friends, share stories and have a great time. (Pavilion)
SUNDAY – August 26, 2012

• 9:30am – Group Breakfast – Please join us back at the Deals Gap Resort for a country breakfast as we say good bye to friends and maybe take one more run down the dragon.
  • 11am Head home SAFE TRAVELS

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Seeing the registration for TOTD 4 reminds me of seeing Christmas decorations at Walmart already and it's not even Halloween yet...
I haven't even recieved my credit card statement for expenses from TOTD 3 yet..
I love the enthusiasm but give me a few months to catch my breath...:wink:

·
OTD2 lifetime Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol.... just wanted to give everyone the heads up early this year. So you can plan ahead. Unlike Christmas decorations, we don't expect you to pay right this sec.... and it won't be discounted 75% in Jan. :D

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Just paid registration for 2 drivers, me & my wife. We'll be driving our own smarts so the 2 registrations are (is?) not a mistake. I even paid for my campsite reservation. Everything is "Go!" for the Dragon

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Monalis, are you sure about the cars registered on the OTD IV website? It says 364 cars registered on the home page. Nobody's going to share my tent other than my wife!

·
OTD2 lifetime Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Monalis, are you sure about the cars registered on the OTD IV website? It says 364 cars registered on the home page. Nobody's going to share my tent other than my wife!

lol I wish we had that many people registered and paid up. :) I think the person that is doing the OTD 2012 website made a slight programming error. :)

We have 12 people registered and 6 of those have paid.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I want to go, but it'll only be for saturday as all my vacation time is done for. However I only live about 1 1/2 hours away from the dragon. BTW their was a rock slide their today.....

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,722 Posts
BULLETIN FRIDAY MARCH 16, 2012: There has been a rock slide at mile 9.5 on the Dragon and the road is closed. Workers on the scene say the road will be closed at least 6-8 hours and possibly for several days depending on engineer's evaluation.
BULLETIN MARCH 7, 2012: The Savannah Morning News is reporting that the I-3 project that might have brought an Interstate through the Tail of the Dragon has apparently been scrapped. Environmentalists and mountain residents apparently made enough of a protest to cause cancellation of the cost analysis which may kill the plan completely. This is great news to all Dragon Lovers. Looks like the road will be around for a while.

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia.

·
OTD2 lifetime Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What does the registration cost include? T-shirt? etc?
Registration this year includes the spaghetti welcome dinner Thursday night, Farewell dinner at Deals Gap Saturday night, a goodie bag, and a little bit to help cover the rental of the pavilion, the cherry picker (for pictures), and supplies.

T-shirts and bagged lunches will be extra and will be added to the store as we get closer to time. T-shirts will probably be in the $15-25 range and bagged lunches will be around $7.

I want to go, but it'll only be for saturday as all my vacation time is done for. However I only live about 1 1/2 hours away from the dragon. BTW there was a rock slide there today.....
Yeah they seem to have rock slides quite often in the early spring time. I'll be up there Easter weekend for the Gen Coupe Spring Run of the Dragon and will be able to check it out. Thankfully we still have quiet while before our run, for them to clear everything up.

·
OTD2 lifetime Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
An idea for a trip destination : Tuckaleechee Caverns, in Tennessee, Elaine & I visited last year, that's why we missed the photo session.
Yup, yup, that's one of the places I was looking at, as well as Biltmore Estates, Zorbing, and a few Breweries within about a 60 min drive of Fontana.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Registered and reserved lodging at Fontana just a little bit ago. We're coming down early in the week to spend time around the area.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have a question, how can we register a passenger after we already registered ourselves? I have a granddaughter coming with us now that we need to register. Can we pay at the OTD or can the registration form be used to register just a guest? She's 13 and wants a smart as her 1st car. ( A female version of Neon maybe?)

·
OTD2 lifetime Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Arthur, you can either fill out a registration for her, or PM me her info. As for the $15 difference, you can pay at OTD or you can paypal it to me. I'm handling all the finances for OTD this year). The other half is doing the website. :)

If you are going to possibly be getting shirts or sandwiches you can wait and just add it on to that.

It'll be great to show off our cars to the next generation. Just PM me here or at my e-mail addy p.buttercup at the Google place.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
What is the deadline for paying the registrations fees? Are we to pay for the lunches and t-shirt on "store" page? I noticed they are not on there yet.

Thank you, Jill

1 - 20 of 274 Posts