Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
The statistics they quote about the seemingly drastic difference in sales numbers being down (x)% year over year have a lot to do with inventory shortages more than having a bad product. smartUSA can't sell as many cars as last year if they have fewer cars available to sell.

Last I checked there were 88 2017 cabrios nationwide (71 of which are on West Coast) and 230 coupe left for 2017 ICE smarts. Another 185 ICE 2016s still available.

12 of the 2015 smart electrics still marked unsold too oddly enough- 8 in NJ, 3 in CA, 1 in OR.

Just over 500 new, unsold smarts in the USA until the 2017 electrics arrive.

Selling 200-300 a month gives us a roughly 2 month supply.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You are correct, but that is a "smart" decision - the low inventory is due to smart stopping the flow of 453 ICE cars to the USA, and the time it's taking them to get the 453 ED to the dealers. All self imposed by Daimler/smart/smart USA IMHO. :)
The 453 EV is being held up by EPA for official range/electric fuel economy ratings, not smartUSA from what we're told at the dealer level. Once EPA certifies the range/ MPGe of the car, its good to go. smartUSA has 2017 EVs at the VPCs ready to get shipped to dealers as soon as US government gives the OK to sell them.

·
Super Moderator
28,977 Posts
Fair enough, but it's not like the EPA paperwork is a surprise to car companies. Bottom line for me is smart stopped trying to sell the 453 months ago, based on a plan to go all electric in the USA that must have been in the works for several years. Nothing we can do about it; we'll see how long it takes low ED sales to cause the other shoe to drop. :)

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,761 Posts
The 453 EV is being held up by EPA for official range/electric fuel economy ratings, not smartUSA from what we're told at the dealer level. Once EPA certifies the range/ MPGe of the car, its good to go. smartUSA has 2017 EVs at the VPCs ready to get shipped to dealers as soon as US government gives the OK to sell them.
OMG - please pass the Kool-Aid . . .

Five months from the MY18 change and MY17's ED's remain stuck at the dock - just more of the same :bullsht: from smartUSA!

Agree with JW, handwriting is on the wall - Café Credits are no longer driving THE BRAND and large metropolitan CARB cities will not be able to sustain the 453 ED in N.A. "All self imposed by Daimler/smart/smart USA."

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I still don't know what the EPA range rating or MPGe ratings will be. As far as I know, it's the EPA range rating and MPGe ratings that are delaying the completion of the official 2017 smart fortwo electric drive Monroney Sticker, that is required by Federal Law prior to vehicle launch.

·
17,476 Posts
Five months from the MY18 change and MY17's ED's remain stuck at the dock - just more of the same :bullsht: from smartUSA!
No no, all they have to do is take those 2017s and sell them as 2018s! Problem solved! >:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
My disappointment about this ED is that the range is very limited. for North America, we need it for commutes that take us further than the typical European commute.
I will not be looking at any ED or EV until I can get 300 km on a charge. That would mean that in our cold winters, it would likely get 200 km on a charge. Until then, it's a gas for me!
Otherwise, the 453 smart is great.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
My disappointment about this ED is that the range is very limited. for North America, we need it for commutes that take us further than the typical European commute.
I will not be looking at any ED or EV until I can get 300 km on a charge. That would mean that in our cold winters, it would likely get 200 km on a charge. Until then, it's a gas for me!
Otherwise, the 453 smart is great.
Makes sense, and this is a significant reason why the smart fortwo is a niche vehicle now and going to be moving forward. I have personally moved beyond the point of trying to convince those looking for extended range and/or large trunks and backseats, to purchase or lease the smart. If you want a hybrid, if you want a backseat, if you want a long range vehicle, don't bother me in my showroom with needless badgering, complaints, or emails, just go elsewhere and get it. If you want a smart, test drive it, shake hands, and be happy in your new and relatively exclusive smart ED. And that's not a dig at you, just a general response to the 'car critic' pretending like a smart ED isn't of value because Tesla's, Leafs, and Bolt's, are the popular vehicles competing for long range now.

Based on existing battery technology at reasonable cost, the true way to get extended range on any EV is to have a large floor. The smart has the smallest floorpan, so it is likely to have a small range. This smart ED is for folks planning to use the car as a daily commuter and not much else.

It is still a logical choice for people using the car for logical situations. And the smart ED combined with Level 2 charging at 2-3 hours is going to be acceptable for light duty users.

In my opinion, hybrid vehicle owners are in a similar situation to those with the smart ED. You save some money with a hybrid in terms of gasoline, but you pay a price premium because you have a gasoline engine AND electric motor AND batteries AND every single hybrid to hit the market has a massive front box which means they handle like big heavy vehicles. There are no small hybrids because there won't be enough space under the hood for all the necessary technology.

smart ED owners may not be able to drive long distances, but if the work and typical errand commutes (let's pin the number at roughly 75 to 80%) are within the approximate 75 mile range, while also having access to Level 2 charging capability, the owners can still recoup (or even potentially save) the cost of buying or leasing the smart ED, which may justify its purchase if it is a car you want to drive. I can use one of my other gas cars (or suv) for the long trips, and my smart ED to go to work.

When I use that approach, the 'range limitations' are a non-factor to me. The longer range EV's will also cost considerably more, especially if you consider the fact that most electric vehicle drivers are leasing their vehicles. The smart ED will be a low-cost lease when all factors are considered, with a slight premium considering its import status. :nerd:

·
Registered
813 Posts
What I find interesting in this forum is the negative vehicle comments expressed by those in the ICE smart community.
Remember when you bought your smart how, the public at large ridiculed you for driving one?
Early adopters always run the risk of incredulity from others who just don't get it. In our case, my son drives 48km round trip
per day and relatively other short trips daily. For those who don't meet this demographic, don't buy a smart EC however,
don't criticize those who do...

·
17,476 Posts
I agree!!! :) However, I don't see any negative comments against the electric drive here. :shrug: I see lots of comments that are against smart USA's practices, a couple of which were made by an ED owner.

There is maybe one comment. There's one comment that's critical of the ED's range...which in a world where $30k can get you 200+ miles is a valid criticism.

I've said it in numerous threads before, we should be unified as one, ED owners and ICE owners. We all own awesome and unique cars. There's no need to put each other down over which version we purchased. I didn't feel the need to say that here though, as we're mainly critical of smart USA, not the ED.

The ED, like the ICE was, will be a polarizing car to reviewers... Business as usual. :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
My prediction is that Smart will drop out of the US market entirely. You can't stay in a market where you only sell hundreds of cars a year. Dropping the ICE Smart makes 0 sense, to only sell a car that will maybe sell a few hundred units. Smart, sadly, has one foot in the grave. It is not surprising, given that in America, bigger is better, and bigger is "safer."

·
Registered
883 Posts
EV's are a niche market currently, and the smart EV is an even more niche market.

When car makers stop producing pure ICE cars, such as Volvo is going to do by 2019, then interest will shift.

The charging infrastructure in the US needs a change, states should regulate that new businesses, ie supermarkets, restaurants, shopping centers, would be required to have dedicated EV charging areas. Designing a system that is modular so more charging stations can be added as growth demands.

Sent from Tapatalk on Android

1 - 20 of 25 Posts