Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, did another dumb thing today... Heading out to get into the truck for the drive to work, a it of snow and some colder temps, I walked net to the smart and found a good size patch of ice under the snow. Took a good tumble and ended up flat on the street. After a talk with the EMT's, I ended up in the emergency room. A few X-rays later and I was pronounced the owner of 3 broken ribs and a tear in my lung.
Gonna be a long night and have to go in for more tests to determine if I will have surgery or not (on the tear) Not going to be doing much of anything for a while I guess. Lots of pain but still on the clean side of the dirt. I can only assume the smart was upset that I was going to drive the Land Rover instead of the smart in the wind and snow.

:shrug:

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,238 Posts
It's currently 65degrees @12:56 am here in Jacksonville, Fl. The only snow and ice I want to see is on a Christmas card. This coming from someone born in Chicago......Very sorry for your accident and hoping for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
OUCH! I broke ribs (2) when I was a kid and landed on the end of a bike handlebar.

The tear in the lung does not sound good!!!!

Hoping for the best!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
back from the doc and x-rays.. seems my right lung dropped 9 mm when I broke the ribs. after 24 hours, it moved back into place by about 1 mm. so at least it is moving in the right direction. Plenty of pain but I am hoping that will get better too. hurts just to breathe for now.

·
Super Moderator
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back into the ER this morning, New level of pain I don't think I have ever experienced before. Good news is my lung is doing great. bad news is that ribs hurt a LOT.. even more than when it happened. More pain pills I guess. Lucky that I have a wife that can handle getting me to the ER and a son who has a strong shoulder to lean on. Back home but I guess I have to really take it easy for a bit.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Be glad you don't have to sneeze or cough with sore ribs. You might see God and you'll think he's mad at you! I found out the hard way. Chumly

·
Super Moderator
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have done enough coughing to know that I don,t want to do that again.Last time I don't recall this much pain!

Now I get the added joy of dealing with the Insurance company as my work has decided to go with a provider and I get to do the job done by the HR department. HR now just directs you to a website....

·
Banned
8 Posts
Could have been worse. I had congestive heart failure a year ago and they cut my rib cage right down the middle. Couldn't lift over 10 pounds for 3 months after, wasn't supposed to drive for 4 weeks, the releasing nurse miss-stated that as 4 days :burnout:was sore driving the first week.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Could have been worse. I had congestive heart failure a year ago and they cut my rib cage right down the middle. Couldn't lift over 10 pounds for 3 months after, wasn't supposed to drive for 4 weeks, the releasing nurse miss-stated that as 4 days :burnout:was sore driving the first week.
Welcome to the forums!

We should be careful not to make Jim laugh either!!!

·
17,356 Posts
Owie!!! I hope you make a speedy recovery jimvw! <3 I probably would’ve stayed on the ground and cried.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts