Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I believe it’s just a matter of personal preference. I have owned both generations for 3 years each and prefer the 453 for both style and mechanical reasons. No big deal. Personally, I think the 450 is neater looking than the 451.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There really is just a subtle difference there. The 451 alone doesn’t look too slanted, but when compared to the 453 you notice it.

I don’t hate the 453, just prefer the 451 looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 451 definitely is taller. The 453 is wider. To each, their own and i"m glad those who have the 453 like them. I have an affinity for smaller cars, I guess that is because my first new car in high school was a 73 beetle. The next car I'm looking at since I have a few of them as a bit of a hobby is the Fiat Abarth.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to admit that I like the 451's over the newer body style.

I’ve got to agree with you. I’d love a 451 with 453 running gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
^^^^ that along with my 453’s 5 speed manual and turbo charged / modified motor , YES .. that would be fun . Did anyone ever make a larger throttle body for the
Smart ? Just wondering .

·
Registered
9,281 Posts
...back in 2010 when Barney created the turbo kit for the 451 everybody talked about it but nobody put out the $$ for the mod...he built 3 kits...two for his cars and one for yours truly....and yes it is a lot of fun to have over 90 HP to the rear wheels...

Jetfuel...if it seems normal the you're not going fast enough....

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,102 Posts
...back in 2010 when Barney created the turbo kit for the 451 everybody talked about it but nobody put out the $$ for the mod...he built 3 kits...two for his cars and one for yours truly....and yes it is a lot of fun to have over 90 HP to the rear wheels...
Mechanically, smart in 2010 still remained a Brave New World?

As M-B wasn’t willing to offer much of a warranty, just how “durable” was the engine and would a turbo turn it into a hand grenade?

Barney built a great kit and if jetfuel hasn’t broken it, it must be amazingly durable. Sadly by the time some were ready to write that $$ check, Barney had moved on.

And the ultimate tease, jetfuel let me experience 90 HP to the “smoking” rear wheels. Enough to make any smart enthusiast write that check!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Mechanically, smart in 2010 still remained a Brave New World?

As M-B wasn’t willing to offer much of a warranty, just how “durable” was the engine and would a turbo turn it into a hand grenade?

Barney built a great kit and if jetfuel hasn’t broken it, it must be amazingly durable. Sadly by the time some were ready to write that $$ check, Barney had moved on.

And the ultimate tease, jetfuel let me experience 90 HP to the “smoking” rear wheels. Enough to make any smart enthusiast write that check!

My understanding is that Barney's smart had a built-up Toyota engine that was swapped in. Perhaps some of the SCOA veterans will chime in here, or perhaps jetfuel will come back to elaborate?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,102 Posts
My understanding is the smart had a built-up Toyota engine that was swapped in. Perhaps some of the SCOA veterans will chime in here, or perhaps jetfuel will come back to elaborate?
Kamaal, thanks for your vote of confidence???

Untrue, the Frankensmart (smart/Toyota) built, owned and raced by Barnes had NOTHING to do with his 3 451 turbo creations one of which is a Brabus owned by jetfuel.

Frankie . . .
https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f361/toyota-powered-smart-40102/

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
What I liked about Barney’s smart car. It was a sleeper. Custom paint job, chrome wheels, Brabus exhaust. Wasn’t over the top mods. Just nicely done. We’re all parked under the St. Louis Arch. Wives, in the background. No parking zone. A police car passed us. Just waved, and smiled at our little cars. That little car, was pretty quick. Hard to kept up with him, on the highway, in St. Louis.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts