Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
You'll be surprised at the amount of negative comment's I've had to deflect regarding the rail storage. It IS a different system than previous because the rails are bigger. The car is wider therefore the rails are bigger. If you want space in the trunk, you're looking at the wrong vehicle. The sub does not interfere with the stored rails but...you can, on a non subbed car, store the load cover low down behind the seats, if you need to carry larger items. The position of the sub prevents this, but again, it's not a deal breaker.

·
Super Moderator
28,794 Posts
But if you need to carry that much stuff, just don't put the rails or subwoofer back there. Simple enough.
Which makes it a choice between having the rails out or load space - a choice that isn't required in the 451 cabrio. :wink:

Just my .02, but smart did not do their best design work on the 453 cabrio roof rail storage solution.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Which makes it a choice between having the rails out or load space - a choice that isn't required in the 451 cabrio. :wink:

Just my .02, but smart did not do their best design work on the 453 cabrio roof rail storage solution.
Could have done better with the subwoofer too....They could have should have mounted two under seat woofers instead of having one that is removable if it gets in the way of cargo carrying.:shrug:

·
Registered
341 Posts
What are you telling people about the fuel tank? That is, do you believe that the issue has been "fixed" and thus telling people that the tank holds 8.7 gallons, or are you telling them it only holds 7+ gallons (even though we know it should hold more), or are you warning them of potential fueling problems? And if it is the first, can you tell us what was done to fix the problem?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,713 Posts
The rails were made slightly bigger for reasons of better structural integrity and occupant safety.
"Made bigger for better structural integrity AND occupant safety" - although NOT an engineer, it does appear that the unreinforced gap in the 453 cabrio Tridion may be smaller?

Although I have seen no citation, this Tridion "redesign" could provide "better structural integrity and occupant safety" especially with the addition of the air bags in the door?

The 453 cabrio rails appear to be slightly shorter and thicker than those of the 451 but are still plastic and held in place by spring loaded pins?

When in place the rails provide a track on which the ragtop moves. When removed they provide a true open air "kewl factor" that is not available from some competitors.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,713 Posts
The great cabrio rail debate - as a cabrio owner for 8 years, much to do about nothing.

Unless you live in a very moderate climate (with no distinct seasons) and don't often hit the highway, being able to put the top down while in motion will satisfy those spontaneous desires.

When city bound you should be fine unless you are heading to Costco. As a road warrior with luggage, rails may have to stay in place?

But then again, as an ED owner I will admit that the EVSE cable is never in the tailgate storage as it remains at home.

Note - those contemplating a 453 ED cabrio may find lots of junk in the trunk? And will the tailgate storage be for rails or EVSE?

·
Registered
138 Posts
you can, on a non subbed car, store the load cover low down behind the seats, if you need to carry larger items. The position of the sub prevents this, but again, it's not a deal breaker.
Can you please confirm that this is in the manual, or that you have checked this yourself?

On my 541 cab this is designed so that the load cover stores nicely directly behind the seat at the level of the trunk floor. I had assumed, from descriptions I had read, that the new cabs work the same way. If it's at trunk floor level behind the seat, it seems odd that it would not fit with the sub in place.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Position of the Subwoofer just slightly overlaps the recess where you store the luggage cover when you don't don't need it.
Something thats already been covered us here in the uk where we've had them since April. I'm going to see if I can find the thread from one of our uk based forums

·
Registered
341 Posts
What are you telling people about the fuel tank? That is, do you believe that the issue has been "fixed" and thus telling people that the tank holds 8.7 gallons, or are you telling them it only holds 7+ gallons (even though we know it should hold more), or are you warning them of potential fueling problems? And if it is the first, can you tell us what was done to fix the problem?

Thanks.
So, you've answered a few questions on this thread but not this one. Is there a reason Smart and its dealers are still hiding the ball on this? Seriously, just own up to it (even if it is "we'll never be able to fix it so you have an 8.7 gallon capacity tank") and let's move on. But until we do get answers, trust me, this isn't going away.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So, you've answered a few questions on this thread but not this one. Is there a reason Smart and its dealers are still hiding the ball on this? Seriously, just own up to it (even if it is "we'll never be able to fix it so you have an 8.7 gallon capacity tank") and let's move on. But until we do get answers, trust me, this isn't going away.
I don't have an answer for that. I have been told by smart that the tank capacity is 8.7 gallons and that's where I leave it. Other sources have shown a 7.7 gallon capacity, which is more believable to me on the cars that have been having fill-up issues. It isn't occurring to every one. And the only way to find out is to run the car long enough to get a tank or two in them, which is not going to happen prior to selling the car.

For some it's a big deal. For some others, I haven't heard a thing from them. If anybody has an issue, I refer them to the service department and/or smart USA's customer service line.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,506 Posts
On Instagram, I saw a matte grey with matte grey tridion ED cabby. It did not have any "ED" logos on it, but it was plugged into a charger. It really looked good and seemed to have a manufactures plate on it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Glad it didn't leave you stranded! It is simply stunning. Your middle pic could easily be my new screensaver.

So, how did it drive?
I like that photo also ;-)
My wife had to drive it home---And she left me in the dust :-|
I just took it out for a NITE Run --- LOL and photos ;-)
It drives like I am out sightseeing... Just keep looking around ;-)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 45 Posts