Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, lately I have noticed that when I am stopped, the outside temperature reading climbs significantly. The other day at stoplight, with outside temp actually about 90°F, the temperature steadily climbed to about 104°F before I got the green. I imagine the car is picking up radiant heat from the asphalt, but I've never experienced that (at least not this extent) in any other car. Anyone else experience this? Do I have an issue underneath that I need to check out; did I knock something loose?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Are you running the A/C when this happens? This is normal behavior if you are - the sensor under the service flap is picking up heat rising up from the A/C condenser/radiator. IC engine cars are not prone to this as much because their temperature sensor is in the air filter intake which draws in fresh air.

·
Super Moderator
17,594 Posts
Mine tends to stay very close to ambient temperature no matter the driving conditions. Only time it ever appears too high is when the car is parked for a while on a hot day. The temperature sensor can be a little sensitive so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The temperature sensor is behind the front bumper. When the car is parked in the sun this becomes like an oven and reads really high. When you have been moving for a few minutes the temperature readings will drop back to normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts