Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has been one hot week, what is the normal operating temp for the smart car. Normally she runs around 194 degrees. This week in this heat she was running over 200, at one point even 213 degrees. that seems high to me but the car never gave any evident there was a problem. what do you all think?:shrug:

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Both of my cars ran around 188 during cooler temps, but once it got above about 90 degrees out, and running the AC, I would be more in the 195-197 range. at stop lights and when cruising parking lots, it would get above 200 and I would get concerned and shut off the AC. I did get up around 215 at a light once and I shut off the air and cranked up the heat, the temp dropped pretty quickly.

Once it gets up to around 200+ I usually try to get some air flow through the radiator. But that is just me.

·
Super Moderator
29,026 Posts
On the trip to Deadwood - temps in the 90s - mine was running 194/198. We did have a car that was running as hot as 215 but apparently that is not too hot. No idea why the variations in operating temps. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good I was concerned, haven't run the ac since it hit 213. almost seemed like the fan was not kicking on, I guess the ac really makes the engine struggle.humm

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello,

Forgive me for the stupid question but I have only owned my 2015 Brabus edition for a month now. Is there a dash gauge or a button to scroll through that indicates the engine temp? I have driven this car only five or six time since purchasing it so I ask for your forgiveness for not paying better attention to the cars abilities!

Thank you in advance for the answer!

Hartmn

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
If my memory serves correctly, I've seen upwards of 220 and still not had the overheat light jump on. Try climbing "The Grapevine" in the middle of July, at 70 mph in 4th gear. :D

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My coolant temp. reached 235 deg. in the CA desert going up a grade with the a/c on. The absolute limit is 246 deg. If it gets that hot, you will warp the cylinder head & blow the head gasket. The front fan will come on without the a/c at 217 deg. Turning the a/c on at temps. below 217, may keep the coolant temps. down. Turning the a/c off when the coolant temps are elevated will lower the coolant temps. slightly, if the front fan remains on.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Engine coolant temperatures of 200 to 220 degrees can be more or less normal, depending on the actual conditions. Some cars do not even turn the radiator fan on until the temperature gets to 230 degrees. Don't sweat it. Heh.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hello,

Forgive me for the stupid question but I have only owned my 2015 Brabus edition for a month now. Is there a dash gauge or a button to scroll through that indicates the engine temp? I have driven this car only five or six time since purchasing it so I ask for your forgiveness for not paying better attention to the cars abilities!

Thank you in advance for the answer!

Hartmn
Not a stupid question, some owners use an aftermarket unit like scangauge or ultragauge which plugs into the OBD port, both can be set up to read coolant temperature and the price is worth the peace of mind. The 2016 smarts actually do have such a readout but it's hard to read accurately.

·
Registered
136 Posts
On the trip to Deadwood - temps in the 90s - mine was running 194/198. We did have a car that was running as hot as 215 but apparently that is not too hot. No idea why the variations in operating temps. :)
We hit 220 on the way home the first day after going up a hill. Second day it ran up to 213 . Once it got up to the 80"s I was at or over 200F Going to get the system flushed when I get home:shrug:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Before you flush and fill your cooling system,
I suggest emptying the coolant reservoir tank
(I used a turkey baster)
and filling it with full strength antifreeze...

I did mine, temps have not exceeded 200 since...

I used Zerex G-05 from NAPA, and saved the old coolant,
it's in a water bottle stored under the dash...
Careful, there is full strength and 50/50 mix....

·
Registered
42 Posts
When the fan decided to stealth break on my 2011 I saw the temp spike over 230. If the fan starts to go you will see it spike in temp, the fan will cool the motor off and just not turn on again until the gar is restarted. A cheap little bluetooth ODB-2 adapter and a program like torque will ease the mind on those hot days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts