Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
driving back from getting a pair of tires put on the rear of my smart, the CEL came on and it started running poorly. Checked the code and got a P0301 again. I let it coold own and changed the plug coil, which seems to have fixed the problem. This is the last of the original 'red' coils I purchased from Smart Madness. I will contact them again as they have a lifetime warranty and SM has honored it in the past. Anyone else have bad luck with these coils?? I keep a spare coil from the original set that were on the car just for these instances.

Does not seem like I should have to do this as the original ones lasted 120K miles, and these don't seem to last more than 20K.....

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
driving back from getting a pair of tires put on the rear of my smart, the CEL came on and it started running poorly. Checked the code and got a P0301 again. I let it coold own and changed the plug coil, which seems to have fixed the problem. This is the last of the original 'red' coils I purchased from Smart Madness. I will contact them again as they have a lifetime warranty and SM has honored it in the past. Anyone else have bad luck with these coils?? I keep a spare coil from the original set that were on the car just for these instances.

Does not seem like I should have to do this as the original ones lasted 120K miles, and these don't seem to last more than 20K.....
I changed all three of my coils over to to the Red SM ones, not because it was running bad, but because I liked the looks. I still have the original ones "Just in Case". Good luck

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started out with one coil going bad , so I figured I would replace all 3 as a preventative maint thing. One coil failed after a few weeks, next one failed after 4 months, and now the third one has failed. Not a good track record. Luckily I kept the 2 original coils for spares as I used them when the red ones failed until the new ones arrived. Doing it again now!

Just curious if it is my luck or if this has happened to others...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
So far so good. Just in case, I'm going carry one of original coils in the car. I drive to some desolate areas here in the state. In hindsight I should have kept one of the front rims and tires to use as a spare.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts