Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and apparently I'm blocked from uploading pictures until I've participated for a while. I will post the pics referenced below as soon as the system will allow...If this code has appeared on your smart and you live far from your smart center, you can buy the part from them (I paid $42 which included shipping) and install it yourself in less than 5 minutes. If you disconnect the battery for a while the code will reset, or better yet, go to Autozone and have them reset it for free with their code reader. The smart center would not send me the part under warranty (for free) because warranty work must be performed in their service area by one of their service techs...$42 was ok with me because it saved me gas expense and the hassle of taking a day off of work. See attached images of the part and its location in the engine compartment. The part only has two vacuum hoses and an electrical connection...replacement couldn't be easier! Best wishes!

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
... If so, did they send you a updated improved valve?
My sc says that there is no way to tell a new valve from an old one; they look the same and have the same number identification. They haven't had a replacement valve "re-fail."

I bought a (new) valve at delivery ($37) just to have one up my sleeve. The brand tech showed me how to change it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
p0140 error

Not sure that it's a "new and improved" part, maybe the originals were just a "bad batch".
Any way it is some type of air valve (part # A0025401497). Only place that I could find it was through the sc, not available at Autozone, Advance Auto or NAPA...pics of part and location in engine compartment will hopefully post soon.

Best regards, p.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine failed at about 4000 miles. Code P0410 Secondary Air fail..... They replaced it and so far so good! Why haven't they recalled this? Seems like there are a lot failing.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Mine failed at about 4000 miles. Code P0410 Secondary Air fail..... They replaced it and so far so good! Why haven't they recalled this? Seems like there are a lot failing.
Because it is NOT a terminally debilitating failure and can very well wait until the next visit to the Dealer to be fixed? (note the question mark.)
A recall (for any product) is a major and costly undertaking... and is usually issued only in potentially dangerous situation (like the paint/roof issue of late).

·
Registered
78 Posts
wow - talk about timing

after lurking for a while I just registered yesterday bc of an check engine condition; thanks paul

we live a couple hours from an dealer, and I've no desire to spend time and mileage commuting for stuff like this on a $15,000 (though beloved) car

my hardest task has been convincing a friend to let me borrow his obd - he's afraid my Smart is 'too smart' for him

·
Registered
78 Posts
confirmed its the P0410; my parts dept confirms they get quite a few of these, "though not all"

that the frequency can be described as "not all" means its a heck of a lot more than " a few"

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I had the same issue at 1500 miles. Dealer replaced it, and no more issues, over 11K now. Smart center Indy told me the factory got a bad batch, and likewise, no repeat failures. Also, this valve is unique to USA. So no issues anywhere else.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm driving over the hill to Sacramento this weekend to get mine fixed. I'll also have them lube the gear shift as it's been a little tight. A good spray of lubricant from time to time keeps it loose, but since I'm there, I might as well have them take care of it, too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
:) good news for d.i.y.

my smart center parts guy agreed to give me the part for shipping costs only. I needed to put a deposit for the part plus shipping, but when I return the failed part, I'll get a refund for the part (not shipping)

if you don't ask, you don't get

·
Registered
70 Posts
Check Engine Light

Got the "Check Engine Light" yesterday, 1534 miles. Gas cap tight, no overfilling, no change in driveability. Mercedes today checked the "Evaporative Emissions Control System" and replaced the "Switchover Valve for Secondary Air System" with a part number 142147. The service manager told me that this is not a replacement with the same smart part, but that it is a Mercedes part that responds to a slightly different voltage input. He said I should see no more failures.

In and out in about an hour and 45 minutes, excellent service at Mercedes of Laguna NIguel.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The P0410 engine light caught up with my Little UFO at 3900 miles. I went to Auto Zone, they downloaded the code for free. I am about 200 miles (round trip) from the dealer, so I called their parts manager and for $40.12 including shipping a new valve is on the way. No way would I take a day off from work, drive 200 miles just to save $40.00. I took delivery 4-19-08, so I guess mine could be considered a early car.
This is the second problem with the car, the first one was the factory installed a fuse that was substandard amps.

·
5,297 Posts
I'm definitely not a DIY person on the car and will be very dependent on the dealer. The valve appears to the same one they replaced last week. No problems before it was changed, but my little one drives a lot smoother since it was changed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The P0410 engine light caught up with my Little UFO at 3900 miles. I went to Auto Zone, they downloaded the code for free. I am about 200 miles (round trip) from the dealer, so I called their parts manager and for $40.12 including shipping a new valve is on the way. No way would I take a day off from work, drive 200 miles just to save $40.00. I took delivery 4-19-08, so I guess mine could be considered a early car.
This is the second problem with the car, the first one was the factory installed a fuse that was substandard amps.
SGM save the replaced valve. Just yesterday I got my refund (minus shipping) when I returned the defective.

Seeing you are in Chesterfield, are you out of Hampton Rds? My supplier was Tysons.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thank goodness for the pictures, I spent a few minutes looking for the hose that attaches to the nipple below the electrical connector. I could not find one, so I went back to this website, sure enough, nothing attaches to that nipple. I telephoned Virginia Beach Smart Center about 4 PM Wed, ordered the part, when I came home from work today (Thursday) it was on the porch, one day service, you can't beat that!
No tools required to replace the valve, I pulled the vent hose off the valve cover to get better access, getting the electrical connector off was easy, but getting the two hoses off the old valve took some effort. The entire process took about 10 minutes, including fighting to get the hoses off the old valve. The hardest part was accessing the battery, the next time it will be easier now that I understand how that panel comes out. I disconnected the battery (Negative cable) for about 10 minutes, reconnected, reinstalled the floor panel over the battery, total time was about 30 minutes, including the 10 minute wait before I reconnected the battery. Started the car, the engine check light went out, the real test will be in the morning when I drive to work.
The Smart dealer said they could not refund my cost because they did not actually install the valve. Well $40.12 was well worth not driving 200 miles and taking a day off from work. I did keep the old valve and the receipt, just in case Smart USA sees pity on those of us who live so far away from the closest dealer. I hope they are reading this....Really it is cheaper for Smart, they do not have to pay the service dept. technician's time for installing the valve.
Anyway, another Hiccup fixed.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts