Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old man here seems to have hit on a variant of an old theme, which he thought he knew by heart, thanx to technical posts here and Evilution.

A couple of days ago Munchkin, a 2011 stock Pure save for its UltraGauge, decided to act up on me. The check engine light lit up on the dash as the UG gave me a trouble code alarm – P0805 (clutch actuator). Absolutely no mechanical symptoms. All seemed cool -- operated normally with both manual shifting and automatic clutch.

I cleared the check engine light successfully by going through the teaching-in the transmission drill, and attempted unsuccessfully to clear the trouble code on the UG.

For two days now little Munchkin has operated as normal, no mechanical problem whatsoever other than that the UG continues to give me the P0805 trouble code. The check engine light, along with all the other trouble lights on the dash, remain unlit. When I silence the UG alarm little Munchkin does fine until she restarts after a shutdown, and then the UG continues to give the trouble code – the check engine remains unlit.

It is apparent that if I did not have the UG installed, there would be no indication whatsoever of a problem.

Can someone out there in smartland suggest what is happening? My age and physical problems preclude my going through the clean-up and lubricate the clutch-actuator exercise, and I simply cannot see taking it almost 100 miles to the nearest dealer under the circumstances.

For the time being I have taken the easy way out and decided to just wait to see if some mechanical problem manifests itself, that is, operating as if the UG were unplugged. I get no other indications of a problem.

What say, gang?

Tks much,

Jim

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
When it happened to mine, I also had NO check engine light, just the P0805 !!!!

You will need to have "someone" do the actuator maintenance for you (and hope that solves the problem) or ultimately put a new (or new to you) actuator in.

Better to do it under YOUR circumstances instead of fate's :)

I'm sure you know how I know :wink:

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
First thought is maybe it's not an actual mechanical issue, but perhaps just an electrical one. I understand not wanting to go through the remove/clean the actuator exercise (although that would probably be best), but what about disconnecting the battery for a while, unplugging each electrical plug that you can reach associated with the transmission (one on the actuator itself and the two you can see from the from engine bay), using some dielectric grease and reseating them, then reconnecting the battery. Might be the easiest troubleshooting path just to see if it a bad connection problem might be setting off the code. But, you might ultimately be heading down the road of dealing with the clutch actuator.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The problem with the tinker-toy code readers is that they do not give you the full code description most times. The description for SAE code P0805 is "Clutch Position Sensor "A" Circuit". What that means is the control unit lost the position of the clutch actuator or it was not where it was expected. It is not a hard fault because the check engine light did not stay on when you did the relearn. It could have been a momentary glitch or it may just be working up the nerve to surprise you with a problem later on when it is least convenient. If there are no faults with the way the trans and clutch operate I would not do anything at this point.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem with the tinker-toy code readers is that they do not give you the full code description most times. The description for SAE code P0805 is "Clutch Position Sensor "A" Circuit". What that means is the control unit lost the position of the clutch actuator or it was not where it was expected. It is not a hard fault because the check engine light did not stay on when you did the relearn. It could have been a momentary glitch or it may just be working up the nerve to surprise you with a problem later on when it is least convenient. If there are no faults with the way the trans and clutch operate I would not do anything at this point.
Most interesting, RW.

If the UltraGauge is a "tinker-toy" code reader, does this suggest that I should have another brand of dedicated code reader, perhaps to use as a followup to a code alert by the UG? If so, can I buy it somewhere?

The UG itself tells me nothing about what the description of any particular code means. It just gives me a number. I must turn to another source somewhere to find out what the number means. I have a full 3-ring binder of several lists of code descriptions printed out from various Internet sources which I carry in Munchkin since my laptop is larger than the binder. :(

I have never found a list which contains 100% of the various codes. Some have some -- some have others. Those which appear to perhaps be fairly unique to the smart, like P0805, are the most difficult for me to locate.

Is there a complete and reliable list out there somewhere which an amateur like me can get his hands on?

It is hard for one to solve a problem when he doesn't even know what the problem is. :)

Much thanks to all who responded to my cry for help.

Jim

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Most interesting, RW.

If the UltraGauge is a "tinker-toy" code reader, does this suggest that I should have another brand of dedicated code reader, perhaps to use as a followup to a code alert by the UG? If so, can I buy it somewhere?

The UG itself tells me nothing about what the description of any particular code means. It just gives me a number. I must turn to another source somewhere to find out what the number means. I have a full 3-ring binder of several lists of code descriptions printed out from various Internet sources which I carry in Munchkin since my laptop is larger than the binder. :(

I have never found a list which contains 100% of the various codes. Some have some -- some have others. Those which appear to perhaps be fairly unique to the smart, like P0805, are the most difficult for me to locate.

Is there a complete and reliable list out there somewhere which an amateur like me can get his hands on?

It is hard for one to solve a problem when he doesn't even know what the problem is. :)

Much thanks to all who responded to my cry for help.

Jim
Most code readers read a limited type of fault codes, primarily OBD-II emissions codes. Some also read ABS codes on some models. Some cheap code readers do not always translate the codes correctly. They are not scan tools. A fault code is not a diagnosis but only a sign-post to point one in the direction of the system with a fault.

Here is a link to a PDF list of SAE J2012 standard fault codes. This assumes you do not wish to pay SAE the $70 they charge for the list. :D

http://www.actron.com/webfiles/OBDII_DTC_Definitions.pdf

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
If there a problem with the car, Clearing the code doesn't fix the issue. I really think you should, have a smart dealer look at the vehicle. Especially if you too old, and not knowledgeable of doing the any repairs.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
P0805 update

Just an update should my somewhat unusual situation pop up on someone else's search on the forum for help with a P0805 problem.

After all the helpful suggestions and recommendations of our so-supportive members out there, my last effort before visiting the nearest dealer nearly 100 miles away was to disconnect the battery for a couple of hours. An easy task for me as I had installed a battery cut-off switch some time ago. Just for the heck of it I also did the transmission teaching-in drill again prior to starting Munchkin.

The P0805 trouble code no longer popped up, and it has not come back. Since I had already done the teaching-in several times before disconnecting the battery, I must believe that disconnecting the battery did the trick, but its combination with teaching-in again may have been the secret.

I still love the little quirks Munchkin displays from time to time. That is one reason that I find her so much fun to own and drive, contrary to the views sometimes expressed by others here -- particularly when our kind members always offer constructive advice to help me deal with those quirks when they are troublesome. After owning and driving her for almost three years I still learn new things about her here on the SCOA forum almost daily.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts