Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I am also a new Smart car owner.
I would just like to give a few tips to those out there who have encountered one of those CEL related to the clutch actuator.
I have searched high and low on this forum as well as other for information about this issue but most of the time I found the same info. (Spray lithium grease in the actuator/ replace actuator and check wiring)

Here are my observation about different problems with the clutch actuator and how to diagnose them. Hope it helps!

P0805 Clutch Actuator Circuit
P0900 Clutch Actuator Open

Symptoms: Car shifts hard and a thump can be heard/felt when leaving from a dead stop or when putting in reverse.
Common solution: Check Actuator adjustment and lubricate assembly, if necessary for transmission in reteach mode (three horizontal bar)

Symptoms: Car has difficulty up shifting or down shifting, car shift like a teenager learning to drive stick.
Common solution: Open clutch actuator and inspect its guts, check if the spring is not rusted or broken. Verify shifter motor wiring and actuator wiring for broken wires.

Symptoms: Car stalls when slowing down to a stop, worse in hot weather or with high electrical load.
Common solution: Your battery might be weak and cause the shifter motor to not disengage fast enough making your car stall. Check battery if it shows 12.6v after being parked for several hours also check that your alternator operates between 13.3v with electrical load and 14.1v with no electrical load at idle.

Symptoms: Car stall in a rain storm or after leaving a car wash
Common solution: Check wiring for exposed wires, check electrical connectors for sign of corrosion, lubricate with dielectric grease if necessary. There are 4 connectors to check (Clutch Actuator, 2 Shifter motor connectors, clutch positioning sensor and a sensor switch next to the shifter motor)

These are some of the common issues I have been through with my 2008 Smart ForTwo Passion. Keep in mind that it is absolutely possible that the actuator is fried or your clutch gone. But most of the time it is not the case. I know a few smart car owners that replaced perfectly good actuators because of a bad battery or a bad wire, only to find that the problem was still there. If I can make you save a few $$$ and the headache...That means my mission was successful!!!:D

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just got the 0805 and 0900 after a thump and car wouldn't drive or start. Towed to a local shop. I'll see if they can follow the actuator check and try for the simple solution first.

This follows a few rounds with P2188 codes. smart couldn't find anything. They replaced on sensor for about $300. Codes came back with CEL just before I needed an emissions check, so I had to have the CEL and codes extinguished. After another $1200 or $1300, they said that should do it, but I might still get the 2188 code. I passed my emissions check, renewed my plates and the 2188 code came back almost immediately. I cancelled it with my ScanGaugeII until the ScanGauge stopped working (8 or 9 years old) so I replaced that with an UltraGauge and continued to clear the 2188 when it showed up.

If we can't solve this just by dealing with the actuator, what am I looking at? Anyone have any direct experience? (My car is also an 08 Passion - 65,555 miles)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Clutch releaseing??.............

loosened 3 bolts on clutch actuater, moved toward drivers side 3/10 inch. It was clear to me the actuater WAS NOT totally
releaseing the cluthch! No problems since repositioning the actuater...................

·
Registered
763 Posts
I ended up with a new clutch. The car started again with the CEL on the way home from the dealer and then went into third gear and stayed there, so I made a u-turn to the dealer. They found the transmission was bad, so I added a transmission to the list.
Got it back and things have been fine for about a month and then the battery light comes on. I had Auto Zone check it and they said it was the alternator. Today, the whole thing died and I had it towed to the dealer.
By the time I'm done, I'll have rebuilt the whole car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts