Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I did go through all posts regarding this P2188 "System too rich at idle" but couldn't find if anyone has actually fixed the issue and had their check engine light not to come back again and again. I have been having this issue for 6 or more months and decided to finally take care of it. Before I go to a shop, I wanted to find out some more useful info since I don't want to go back to a repair shop every 2 weeks and parts to be replaced for no reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am scared to go to the Mercedes dealership (I am in NYC) since the bill from them would be very expensive. My 2015 Passion has only 30 000K.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Judging from some other vehicles I have owned, this can be caused by a faulty MAF sensor or a vacuum leak, among other causes. From what I've read, the Smart use a MAP sensor instead of a MAF, but the function is much the same. It sounds to me like it's probably a bit early for that to fail, but 30,000 is a bit early to suspect anything failing. If you've had it serviced recently, check the airbox is seated and any vacuum hoses that might have been disturbed are properly connected. I've not owned my Smart long enough to do much to it, so I don't have any direct experience with it to share.

I personally would only take my car to a MB dealership as a last resort due to the distance, hassle, and expense. I do most of my own work, but anything I can't do I prefer to farm out to an independent auto shop. When I'm looking for a new mechanic, I tend to ask around among my friends for recommendations and work from there. If you don't have any car-oriented friends, perhaps check out the reviews on local garages. Don't be afraid to take it to a couple of shops to have it checked it out, most will check it out for free or a small fee and you aren't comitted to repairs.

Hopefully someone with some more direct experience with the Smart will come along with more useful info, but in general any capable mechanic with the tools and skills can do almost any service to them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update. Step 1- oxygen sensor replaced. Genuine. $500 incl labor!!! Engine light came back on day 2.
Brought it back to the shop. Today they cleaned the throttle body and reset the computer. Hope it will work.
If it doesn't next step will be to go to the local Mercedes stealer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
A fellow New Yorker, born and raised in Ozone Park myself.
We also own a 2015 Passion that we adopted from the Mercedes dealer in Manhattan. Although we perform our own maintenance on her, there are times when I trusted no one with our baby other than an authorized Mercedes dealer.
Do yourself a favor, if you can leave Manhattan and travel out to Roslyn LI, RallyE motors is where I bring her yearly for inspection and any issues we are not able to correct. They have always been fair as far as price is concerned and are the only dealer on Long Island besides South Hampton Mercedes that work on the Smart. You know as well as I there are typical prices, then there are Manhattan prices!
Andrew Katigbak Service Advisor 516-625-1000 1600 Northern Blvd , Roslyn NY 11576
Good luck and please keep us informed “We Care”
Paula

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, P and Ch. Roslyn this option does not work for me.
Update: Oxygen sensor replaced, throttle body cleaned (a new one costs $1200), muffler exh replaced ($340). All good so far. Parts were all purchased from a smart center (I think they were actually delivered from the Roslyn center). Thanks God, my shop charged me very little for labor since I've been with them for 10 yrs.
So, throttle body was very, very dirty. The mechanic says its because of a bad gasoline. I put only the highest BP gas, mostly the same gas station. Considering going to a different brand/ gas station.

So far I am very disappointed with the Smart and Daimler. (this is my work car and it is great for parking and beating manhattan traffic though) The car has only 30K m and is 5v yrs old. Eats up the most expensive gas and parts are 2 to 3 times more expensive. For sure when I get to the point of buying a high class car, Mercedes will be excluded from my choice options.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Good morning,
It’s sad to read that your so disappointed and dissatisfied with your Smart especially since we both own the same year.
My first thoughts on this would have to relate to past history and whether proper maintenance was performed, or ever performed. You didn’t mention if you were the original owner, so I don’t want to insinuate. I can only compare the years of our cars 2015 and the consistent service our car has received over the years we have owned her.
One thing I can agree on and what you mentioned is to change your gas selection from BP gas.
In the past we have had issues using BP with the trucks for our business, similar to what you’re experiencing. We would purchase there because of convenience, but have moved on to Mobil and have had no issues so far. But in reality it only takes one bad tank of gas to cause major problems, so its quite possibly a crap shoot.
In either case, best of luck to you,
Paula

1 - 6 of 6 Posts