Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the change over valve with the new version after the secondary air injection pump stopped working and threw a P0410 code. Pump wouldn't run and had blown the 50 amp pump fuse, so I replaced the pump.

Pump back on but threw a P2440 code (secondary injection system switching valve stuck open). Replaced change over valve again with another new version. Pump started again, but threw the P2440 code again. Have also replaced the relay for the pump, but am now stumped.

What else can I check?
Pump runs but change over valve won't close. ALL suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Replaced the change over valve with the new version after the secondary air injection pump stopped working and threw a P0410 code. Pump wouldn't run and had blown the 50 amp pump fuse, so I replaced the pump.

Pump back on but threw a P2440 code (secondary injection system switching valve stuck open). Replaced change over valve again with another new version. Pump started again, but threw the P2440 code again. Have also replaced the relay for the pump, but am now stumped.

What else can I check?
Pump runs but change over valve won't close. ALL suggestions appreciated!
There is an inline check valve close to the intake manifold that may be the culprit..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Assume it is attached to the hose running to the change over valve? Do you know if it can be cleaned like a PCV valve or do you know the Mercedes part number for a new one?

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Thanks! Assume it is attached to the hose running to the change over valve? Do you know if it can be cleaned like a PCV valve or do you know the Mercedes part number for a new one?
Very small sealed plastic check valve.. Don't know part#... Can't be too expensive...

Kinda hard to get to it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just confirming that this check valve is in addition to the black 3-port change-over valve on top of the intake manifold. Does this smaller check valve run to the exhaust manifold via one of the 2 rubber tubes from the change over valve? Thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, cleaned the check valve and replaced. Got vacuum at the line. Car ran without a code for 2 days and threw the P2440 code again! Does anyone know anything about the ECU flash update for this ridiculous secondary air injection system? There are no more mechanical parts to change and the pump runs. The ECU simply says the changeover valve (replaced 2x) is stuck in the open position. All help appreciated very much!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Normally, the P2440 fault refers to the air switching valve, not the vacuum switching valve. On the smart model 451 the air switching valve is on the right end of the cylinder head below the valve cover. You can probably see the black air hoses that attach to it below the oil fill cap on the valve cover.

The air switching valve sends the output from the secondary air pump to the pipe connected to the left end of the cylinder head and thus through internal ports to the exhaust. Since the valve is exposed to exhaust gas back-flow up the pipe the valve can rust and fail to function properly.

P2440 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Open OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks! Anyone have a part number or price on the combination valve and what's involved in changing it out. Not finding anything in search of this forum.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The secondary air or combination valve item #380, part # is A 002 140 88 60 according to the Electronic Parts Catalog.

Replacement is straightforward. From the top remove the vacuum line, secondary air supply hose and the metal pipe to the cylinder head. Disconnect the harness connector for the air-fuel sensor (O2 sensor), unclip the retainer and move the wire aside. From below, unbolt the valve and bracket from the cylinder head.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have now replace the Combination Valve and the system appears to be functioning without throwing any codes. Amazing to me that the secondary air injection pump AND combination valve failed on a car with just 33,000 miles. Anyone have BOTH these parts fail?

Removal and installation of the combination valve was a pain. Not much space between the valve and muffler. Impossible to loosen the lower nut on the exhaust pipe connected to the valve. Found that loosening the upper nut on the exhaust pipe and the 3 bolts holding the valve in place from underneath the car allowed you to wiggle the valve to where you could grab the lower nut with two fingers and remove (the pipe has a flex part built in). Also easier to loosen the 3 bolts holding the valve if you remove the heat shield off the exhaust manifold. Finally, you must turn the valve in a variety of positions to remove it from the topside. All in all, took 3 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have now replace the Combination Valve and the system appears to be functioning without throwing any codes. Amazing to me that the secondary air injection pump AND combination valve failed on a car with just 33,000 miles. Anyone have BOTH these parts fail?
If the combination valve fails to seal it can allow exhaust gases to back-feed into the secondary air blower. Exhaust gases are not friendly to electrical parts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well here goes again. I have checked all the electric switch over valves ( I saved the two old ones and the new one. All three read approx 30 ohms resistance. Now I went to the old posts and supplied 12 volts to all three and all three work, They all open and close the diversion valve. Pondering my next move on the P 2440 code. My air injection pumps is screaming I had another forum member at the house and we compared our cars at startup. his stopped within 30n seconds as mind continued and was 10 times louder and then finally shut off. At every cold start or after the car sits for about 5 hours this screaming love affair starts and its not the smart they are looking at but whether or not it is going to start to fly!!!
Is there a way to see if the combination valve that is hooked to the air pump is faulty.
I have very good vacumn at the vacumn line coming into the electronic switch so I feel it has nothing to do with the check valve down below. The car was warm so it wouldn't turn the blower motor on.
I bought a used blower motor and it looks like you can open it up, is there anything to clean or oil to maybe save this for a spare.
Or should I just replace all three parts and hope for the best. There is no wire chaffing on the wires as some have suggested. I really need an extra hand in the cold start operation as to hear and check the electric valve. Any and all help will be appreciated at this point. Skip in Florida I originally asked about this problem a while ago but then my son took it for a year and well dad the engine light is on and the thing screams when you start it and you know how the rest of the story goes...... Thanks again Skip

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My air injection pumps is screaming I had another forum member at the house and we compared our cars at startup. his stopped within 30n seconds as mind continued and was 10 times louder and then finally shut off. At every cold start or after the car sits for about 5 hours this screaming love affair starts and its not the smart they are looking at but whether or not it is going to start to fly!!!
If the secondary air pump is making that much noise you need to replace it. It is probably staying on too long because it is not spinning fast enough to move the proper amount of air.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Was told that my 2008 had it's engine light on and checked the code, got this one. Cleared it, started up, and sure enough the air pump started screaming right off. May be the hose attached has come off or rusted through, since it's so much louder. On mine it's intermittent, and it's not exactly something I care a ton about, so it can wait till the next service visit if I can't find/fix it myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
P2440: Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Open

Just got P2440 trouble code on my 2009 Smart ForTwo
Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Open
Research found the follow info. Thought I'd share for future reference.

Valve Location: scribd.com/doc/58928928/10/Secondary-air-injection#page=47

Online Part: autopartsway.com/partlist.cfm?smart/2009/fortwo/passion/1l-l3/allb/air-and-fuel-delivery/fuel-injection-system-and-related-components/electronic-air-intake-change-over-valve/pagenum1/tabs

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got the same code, it lasted about a week and disappeared. Its been a couple more weeks now and has not returned. I decided to get the part anyway. I got it from mercedes for about $40. I gave them the old part#0025401497 and they said it has a new part#0025407097

I found the location o.k. but haven't replaced it yet, figured I'd wait until the code showed up again.

Question: what are the other two valves shown in this pic, do they have anything to do with this code?

Also, for the secondary valve, I noticed that one of the line fittings on the valve has no line connected to it. Is this normal?