Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smart car P2440 engine code diagnostic and repair. I hunted for a solid year trying to fix this issue and nothing came up and I said the heck with it I am fixing it today!! Very simple repair, very simple diagnostic. Can self repair or just replace the part.... it's up to you. Diagnostic side : Vacuum check and verify operation of secondary air injection valve it self. Item Y32 in the picture. This is the most common item everyone tells you to replace and ITS NOT ALWAYS THE ISSUE. I replaced the switching valve 3 times and it never fixed it. You can verify it's not leaking by putting a fluid into the engine vacuum port. Make sure it operates by putting 12v to the connector and it should click along with passing fluid along to the port that connects to the combination valve (item 2) Remove vacuum line and start engine. Check and make sure you have vacuum being supplied by the engine as well. If this all checks fine then your needing to replace or repair item #2. Removal of valve is very simple. It has two E8 and three E10 bolts that hold it along with the vacuum line from the switching valve and the hose from the air pump. Remove the rear control arm support brace with the two E16 bolts that hold it to the frame to gain access to the valve. Once you remove the valve there are three Phillips screws that hold the thing together. Remove it and take it apart as shown. If the valve is open as shown. Clean all the carbon along with put some penetrating fluid in the port that the air pump connects to and get the valve to seat back down. You have now fixed P2440 your self or verified what your issue is and can replace the valve and reassemble the car and carry on....

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts