Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:
I have a 2016 Smart ForTwo. Can a P26AB: "Engine Coolant Bypass valve "A" stuck open" be repaired or does the part have to be replaced? My warranty JUST ended, of course!
Thanks,
Joleen

· Super Moderator
2,159 Posts
Sometimes if you catch the dealer on a good day maybe with a dozen donuts, they will ignore the fact that your car is out of warranty, especially if it is only a few days out and if you have used them for most of your work during the warranty period.

Len

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice! My warranty expired 2 months to the day that the check engine light came on. They are quoting $431 to fix. It looks like a common problem so I will beg my service adviser, I only have 20,000 miles on her and I have to drive 4 hours to the dealership. Maybe they will have pity on me.

· Registered
4 Posts
Greetings: I have a 2016 Smart ForTwo. Can a P26AB: "Engine Coolant Bypass valve "A" stuck open" be repaired or does the part have to be replaced? My warranty JUST ended, of course! Thanks, Joleen
Please note MB Smart has issued a extended warranty on all Smart Engine Coolant Bypass valves. You should have received the letter from MB. It will be replaced for free. Warranty on BPV hood for10 years or 100,000 miles.

· Registered
4 Posts
Do you know if there's any info online about this, if one hasn't received such a letter?
Haven’t seen it online , my letter is dated 5/26/2022 from MB has my vin up top of letter .
My friend has a 2015 , he had no letter. Contacted dealer and had bypass valve fixed for free. Just call your local dealer. From what letter states should have been a recall. I suppose since gas Smart’s since 2016 no longer imported , maybe that exempted a recall. But they will fix it free.

· Registered
2 Posts
Haven’t seen it online , my letter is dated 5/26/2022 from MB has my vin up top of letter .
My friend has a 2015 , he had no letter. Contacted dealer and had bypass valve fixed for free. Just call your local dealer. From what letter states should have been a recall. I suppose since gas Smart’s since 2016 no longer imported , maybe that exempted a recall. But they will fix it free.
Thanks - will give it a shot!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts