Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had a 2010 if you shift with the paddles, coming to a light or any time you were slowing down the car would shift itself to a lower gear. I also think that the 2012 did the same thing. I had a 2014 with cruse control and it did not have the paddles.

I just drove a 2015 and you have to manually shift down yourself. The salesman told me they changed that in the 2015's, does anyone know for sure what year they were changed? :shrug:
TIA

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I must have been mistaken. That was a feature that I really did like. I guess the salesman didn't know either. Thanks for your input.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
The paddle shifters are not available with factory cruise control on the 451. You still have the option of using the stick to accomplish manual shifting. Somewhat less convenient IMHO, especially once you've become accustomed to the paddles.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Wonder what it would be like if there were a third setting on the 451: driver has total control over all the shifting. Driver would even have to downshift one gear at a time from 5th gear 45mph to a red light stop. Could be fun, but would that grow tiresome?

Question about the 453 DCT: since there is a dual clutch (one for even gears and one for odd gears), can the driver immediately downshift on a turn from 5th gear into 3rd (completely bypassing 4th gear)?

·
Registered
912 Posts
The 451 (along with other "manumatics") needs to be fault-tolerant and idiot-tolerant and unknowledgeable-operator-tolerant.

Given that the transmission is electronically controlled, this is easily done by commanding a downshift below a certain minimum speed in each gear. So that's what it does. If it didn't do that ... and it were left completely to the operator ... people would be burning up clutches.

It's different with a proper manual transmission with a clutch pedal, although they are certainly subject to being quickly destroyed by drivers who don't know what they are doing.

The DCT can only do what it's programmed to do. If you request two shifts in very quick succession, it will do it in one shot.

It takes longer for a DCT to do a 5-to-3 than a 5-to-4, because when changing down by two gears, it cannot pre-select the next gear inside the transmission the way it does with going up or down only one gear at a time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Does the 453 DCT experience what sometimes happens on the 451 in manual mode: driver goes to downshift from 4th to 3rd gear, but the auto-downshift beats the driver, and both shifts are performed taking the transmission down to 2nd gear. Jolt.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My 15 Brabus 451 does not shift down on it's own that I have found. It lugs the engine and demonstrates a herky jerky motion to let you know to manually downshift or put the selector in auto mode. I really do not want to just come to a stop in manual to to find out.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
My 15 Brabus 451 does not shift down on it's own that I have found. It lugs the engine and demonstrates a herky jerky motion to let you know to manually downshift or put the selector in auto mode. I really do not want to just come to a stop in manual to to find out.
Be assured, IF you let it, it WILL downshift :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
What about the 453 DCT...does it sometimes downshift right before the driver shifts, mistakenly causing two downshift gear changes instead of one?

Does the 453 DCT experience what sometimes happens on the 451 in manual mode: driver goes to downshift from 4th to 3rd gear, but the auto-downshift beats the driver, and both shifts are performed taking the transmission down to 2nd gear. Jolt.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
What about the 453 DCT...does it sometimes downshift right before the driver shifts, mistakenly causing two downshift gear changes instead of one?

Never had that happen, that I could detect.

But as most DCT drivers have stated in other threads, the transmission is so competent on its own that there is never much incentive to use the paddle shifters.

In the unlikely case of an inadvertent two-gear downshift, it's likely that you wouldn't even notice since the changes are so smooth. And it would sort itself out in a heartbeat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts