Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems the metallic paint on the 453 chips very easily, revealing the white surface beneath. I know there are touch up kits available but since the color is metallic, it's very hard to hide the chips. Was wondering if anyone has tried or recommend a clear vinyl wrap (at least for the blunt front) to prevent future white pockmarks?

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,562 Posts
You can get a clear bra type of wrap for not a lot of money. Since you are in California, there should be a lot of shops in your area.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Touch up paint is a must. I drive many km on the highway so I get lots of stones and crap hitting the car. I much rather deal with a bit of white plastic showing instead of rust but I must agree that the new model does chip easier than the last model.

·
17,474 Posts
I still find it interesting how the 453s have a base coat then the actual colour coat on top, but really only in the areas that are readily visible...I think it's been answered before but I forgot, is the 453 still powdercoated like the 451 or is it through a different process nowadays?

·
17,474 Posts
Sorry! Yes I meant the Tridion. And that is the answer I remember reading a year+ ago, just can't find the post. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Excess wear and tear charge

I've returned my leased 453 orange metallic smart, and because M-B doesn't have anything that fits into my budget, I can't just get another M-B. So they are charging me ($546.93) to replace the chipped hood and front bumper due to chipped paint. I see from this thread that the chipping isn't restricted to my smart. This is my third smart, and probably my 12th car, and I've never had a problem with chipped paint like this before, which leads me to believe it is a defect in the paint on this one. Gets my goat that I'm having to pay almost $950 in return charges because M-B decided not to sell the gas smart anymore. My local dealership also decided to drop the ED, so I can't get one of those either. Really bummed about that, and now driving a Jetta because it was in my price range.

As for the paint, there is a paint guy that works with our dealership who has mixed paint for touch-ups and done well with the metallics, so there must be other vendors connected to your local dealership who can do that for you.

I'd like to hear from anyone else with excessive chipping on the metallic paint, maybe we have some recourse for the wear and tear charge?

·
Registered
12 Posts
paint integrity is horible

I had the first chip on the door edge within a month of getting the car and I don't sing the door out fast. It is just poor paint and If I were to touch up I would be doing it weekly so I live with the white spots. The overall paint and lack of powder coat is a huge quality issue. One time of the seatbelt getting shut in the door and you will be touching up the trident. Owned my 2008 for 9 years and never had an issue with paint or powder coat. This was not a smart decision by Smart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts